• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Lets encnnrypt: Install certificate failure: Unable to set certificate name

GerdSchrewe

Basic Pleskian
I have a Strato V-Server with Plesk 12.5 MU 67, Ubuntu 14.04.

Ca 25 domains and some subdomians and some alias domains with installed Letyencrypt for every domain.
It all worked fine for months.

For only one domian kjp-bremicker.de i get suddenly "Install certificate failure: Unable to set certificate name" or
Fehler: Fehler bei der Installation des SSL-Zertifikats von Let's Encrypt: Invalid response from https://acme-v01.api.letsencrypt.org/acme/new-cert: Error creating new cert :: too many certificates already issued for exact set of domains: kjp-bremicker.de.
Type: urn:acme:error:rateLimited.

I checked panel.log and google to find the cause of the error. In Plesk Control Panel there ist only one difference to the other functioning domains. Symbol "CSR Part" ist missing for this domain:

[2017-07-07 04:32:52] ERR [panel] Fehler bei der Installation des SSL-Zertifikats von Let&#039;s Encrypt: Invalid response from https://acme-v01.api.letsencrypt.org/acme/new-cert: Error creating new cert :: too many certificates already issued for exact set of domains: kjp-bremicker.de.<br />

[2017-07-07 04:42:32] ERR [panel] Für das Zertifikat wurde kein passender privater Schlüssel gefunden.

[2017-07-07 04:54:37] ERR [panel] Fehler bei der Installation des SSL-Zertifikats von Let&#039;s Encrypt: Invalid response from https://acme-v01.api.letsencrypt.org/acme/new-cert: Error creating new cert :: too many certificates already issued for exact set of domains: kjp-bremicker.de.<br />

[2017-07-07 11:14:35] ERR [panel] Fehler bei der Installation des SSL-Zertifikats von Let&#039;s Encrypt: Invalid response from https://acme-v01.api.letsencrypt.org/acme/new-cert: Error creating new cert :: too many certificates already issued for exact set of domains: kjp-bremicker.de.<br />

Then i registered to the letyencypt community board and got this answer:

79_1.png

schoen Certbot engineer / EFF
July 7

You can see here that you have successfully issued a large number of certificates:

https://crt.sh/?Identity=%25kjp-bremicker.de&iCAID=16418

So the problem is that Plesk fails to configure your web server to make use of these certificates, which then leads you to try to get another certificate, with no different result.

I would suggest asking over on the Plesk forums

talk.plesk.com

og_logo.jpg

Plesk Forum
Plesk community discussion forums

You can tell them that you have the "Install certificate failure: Unable to set certificate name" which was supposedly fixed in the past and that apparently this error still continues to occur for you for some reason.

As a workaround i changed .htaccess that the website is still reachable with http and changed to a self signed certifikate. Maybe it helps to wait a few days switch back to Letsencypt and then try to renew the Letsencryp cert but still wondering why all other domains work fine with the cert....?

Maybe someone from the forum has an idea...
Thanx a lot in advance!

Last edited:
Hi GerdSchrewe,

pls. consider to open a "bug" - report at

In addition, pls. overthink the choice to upgrade your Plesk Control Panel to the most recent ( stable ) version ( currently 17.5 ), to profit from latest updates/upgrades and improvements. ;)

To solve your current issue ( temporarily ), pls. consider to remove the corresponding Let's Encrypt certificate for the domain and check as well for possible database inconsistencies, as described at: => Error "Unable to set certificate name :" · plesk/letsencrypt-plesk Wiki · GitHub

You might still experience Let's Encrypt related messages like "Error creating new cert :: too many certificates already issued for exact set of domains: kjp-bremicker.de", if you exceeded THEIR regulations ( documented at: => Rate Limits - Let's Encrypt - Free SSL/TLS Certificates ).

Thank you for help!.

I disabled the Letsencrypt cert and will wait for 7 days,
crt.sh | kjp-bremicker.de (it stopped renewing)

Then i will enable it again and renew.
Rate Limits: Rate Limits - Let's Encrypt - Free SSL/TLS Certificates

The referenced issue with database inconsistencies was fixed in Plesk 12.5 update 25, i have #67 installed.

But i still wonder how this could happen to only this domain and not to the 25 others, coz nothing changed and it works fine since Feb 2017.
I will post results here in 7 days again...

Hi GerdSchrewe,

The referenced issue with database inconsistencies was fixed in Plesk 12.5 update 25, i have #67 installed.
Pls. note, that you certainly updated/upgraded before, where your ( possible ) database inconsistencies still need manual inference ( that's why I linked the wiki - article ).

But i still wonder how this could happen to only this domain and not to the 25 others, coz nothing changed and it works fine since Feb 2017.
Actually, the previous issues/errors/bugs ( which caused the ( possible ) inconsistencies ) didn't appear with all ( sub)domains and only if you previously changed/modified/edited your existing Let's Encrypt - certificate over the Plesk Control Panel - but as you already noticed, this cause has been eliminated by Plesk developers by now. ;)

I will post results here in 7 days again...
Thank you very much, for keeping your thread "up-to-date". :)

7 days later i disabled the (temporarily installed) self signed cert and reinstalled the Letsencrypt cert for the one domain again.
It works.
crt.sh | kjp-bremicker.de
Now the question remains why Plesk could not install the certificate earlier and as many attempts were made which led to a blocking.

I hope these daily attempts are now finished and it will not be blocked again (rate limit of 5 certificates per domain per 7 days).
I will report.

Back