• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Limit Plesk Panel User to Editing Subdomain in WPB?

swopedesign

Regular Pleskian
I have a client who uses multiple subdomains for his community's web site. He wishes to grant access to one group to edit ONLY their WPB web site, but that ability to limit the user to a select subdomain does not appear to exist. Instead, that user can access ANY subdomain. This is an awkward security risk for my client. Any help I can get on this would be useful and appreciated!

Hi swopedesign,

This is a limitation of Plesk User Roles model. I'm not sure if this can be easily fixed on Plesk side, but I'll see what can be done. Meanwhile, can you tell me how are you using User Roles? What roles do you have and how essential are they to your business?

How my client is using Plesk

My client services small communities. For example, a city called Halstead, Kansas. He controls the main web site on that domain www.HalsteadKansas.com, but he also offers subdomains to organizations, i.e. boyscouts.halsteadkansas.com. So the boy scouts organization can have a web site which also uses the strength of the main domain for search engines, etc. BUT...the boy scouts can't edit their own web site in Web Presence Builder, because every user role on that domain will then have access to the whole control panel for HalsteadKansas.com, and the ability to edit every other web site on that domain, including the other subdomains, which we cannot allow. So for this customer, my largest customer, he has discovered that WPB, although a great tool, he cannot use because of the security risk involved with the user role.

Hi swopedesign,

In this case you are not using Plesk correctly (or should I say, the way it was intended). Users within a webspace are supposed to belong to one organization, that was the original intent. What you need is to offer different webspace/domain for each organization, thus achieving full isolation between these organizations.

It is true, since that feature isn't built into Plesk, it cannot be yet used as we would like. However, when you create a user in Plesk, there is the dropdown to select which DOMAIN the user can edit; seems a small step to include subdomains in this dropdown so that the user can be assigned to the entire domain, or any of the subdomains. There are benefits to offering a domain schema as we do: main domain for the small community; subdomains for businesses and civic organizations.

Any plans to bless Plesk with this feature?

Any plans to make this security feature available, i.e. that users can be selected to edit domain OR sub-domain and not necessarily have access to every subdomain? Since the domain is selected when creating the user, seems as though it should be simple enough to allow a subdomain to be chosen instead of the primary domain.

Hi swopedesign,

I suggest you to ask this question in Plesk forum, since it is not directly tied to WPB. Thanks.

Back