• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Limit sent messages

Tozz

Regular Pleskian
I'd like to request a feature where we can limit the amount of emails sent out by 1 user. Competitor DirectAdmin has this feature and it works very well.

The reason for this request is now with mobile devices everywhere, almost all our users use our Plesk server as their SMTP server. From time to time login credentials get stolen, guessed or otherwise fall into wrong hands.

When this happends our Plesk machine is used to sent out tens of thousands of spam messages, which in turn causes our IP to get blacklisted.

It would be great if we could limit the amount of outgoing messages per mailbox. This would limit the spam outbreak to a very small fraction of the amounts we're seeing now.

Something similar is being discussed in another topic.

We need much more control over incoming email in general, to be honest.

At the moment, we can't even control whether a particular user can use authenticated SMTP or not -- it is either all or none.

The diffculty that the Plesk devs have at the moment is that they have to support two MTAs - qmail and postfix, and that's not the best situation for them to be in.

In Plesk 11 postfix became the default, so it is possible that in a future version of plesk we may see qmail support dropped.

When/if that happens it will hopefully be easier for the devs to add features like per mailbox or per domain authenticated smtp support, and per domain or per mailbox message number limits. I'd certainly like to see both features!

I need to limit the amount of mail send by a uid.

As in when Joomla gets hacked so it can't send out 1000+ mails / minute and get us blacklisted. Usually when we get hacked it's either joomla, joomla or .... joomla. I wish customers would stop using it entirely...

Since PHP runs as fastcgi the mailservers sees the uid it comes from.

That said - still looking for a way to run the entire webserver as the user. Still no plans for mpm-itk or mod_ruid2 I presume? The fact you put nginx in front of apache probably already is a clear indicator you don't give a rats *** about the queries regarding this - nor the enhanced security it'd provide.

Back