• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Lock Manager error after upgrading from 12.0 to 12.5

turnschuh

New Pleskian
Hey there,
today I was updating Plesk from 12.0 to 12.5 (on Ubuntu 12.04) - no errors were encountered during installation (apart from one rant concerning PhpMyAdmin which, however, seems to work fine). All websites were still running after upgrading but we couldn't access the Admin panel anymore: "Lock Manager error: 'Permission denied'"

panel.log wasn't much more informative either:
[2016-03-20 20:20:00] ERR [panel] Permission denied
[2016-03-20 20:20:00] ERR [panel] Lock Manager error: 'Permission denied'.:
0: /opt/psa/admin/plib/Lock/Manager/Hierarchical.php:120
Plesk\Lock\Manager_Hierarchical->_getClient()
1: /opt/psa/admin/plib/Lock/Manager/Hierarchical.php:193
Plesk\Lock\Manager_Hierarchical->_applyLock(string '', object of type Plesk\Lock\Resource)
2: /opt/psa/admin/plib/Lock/Manager/Hierarchical.php:155
Plesk\Lock\Manager_Hierarchical->lock(object of type Plesk\Lock\Resource, string '')
3: /opt/psa/admin/plib/Lock/Manager.php:83
Plesk\Lock\Manager->lock(integer '1', array, string '', array)
4: /opt/psa/admin/plib/Lock.php:34
Plesk\Lock::write(object of type Plesk\Lock\Object_NodeService, string '', array)
5: /opt/psa/admin/plib/Db/Table/Dictionary/ServiceNodeEnvironment.php:80
Db_Table_Dictionary_ServiceNodeEnvironment->sync()
6: /opt/psa/admin/plib/Service/Driver/Packages/Unix.php:32
Service_Driver_Packages_Unix->sync(boolean false)
7: /opt/psa/admin/plib/Service/Driver/Core/Plesk.php:11
Service_Driver_Core_Plesk->syncAllData()
8: /opt/psa/admin/plib/Db/Table/Row/ServiceNode/ManagementNode.php:15
Db_Table_Row_ServiceNode_ManagementNode->refreshProperties()
9: /opt/psa/admin/plib/auth.php:250
AutoPrepend->run()
10: /opt/psa/admin/plib/auth.php:768
[2016-03-20 20:20:00] ERR [1] Lock Manager error: 'Permission denied'
code: 0

Of course I already googled and searched this forum like mad but none of the suggested solutions seem to solve the issue entirely.

What I already checked and/or did:
  • /dev/shm is mounted
  • SELinux not installed
  • psaadm is in lock-manager
  • ran plesk repair all
  • also /usr/local/psa/bin/repair --restore-vhosts-permissions
  • and having done bootstrap repair
  • ownership & permissions for var/lock, var/lock/lmlib and var/lock/mlib/container_locks are set as described in https://kb.plesk.com/en/122288 (although this article refers to 12.0... not sure if things changed for 12.5?)
(I also tested other permissions/ownership settings on those directories but none seemed to change anything.)

After doing all that I can now access some of the admin panel pages - but for example all "Tools & Settings" pages or saving changes on Hosting Settings etc. still won't work. So the admin panel remains kinda useless.

Log says the same as before, minus the backtrace (when trying to access "Tools & Settings"):
[2016-03-20 20:48:46] ERR [panel] Permission denied
[2016-03-20 20:48:46] ERR [1] Lock Manager error: 'Permission denied'.
[2016-03-20 20:48:46] ERR [panel] Plesk\Lock\Exception: Lock Manager error: 'Permission denied'.
file: /opt/psa/admin/plib/Lock/Manager/Hierarchical.php
line: 120
code: 0

When trying to save hosting settings the logged error is even shorter, yet still the same:
[2016-03-20 20:50:11] ERR [panel] Permission denied
[2016-03-20 20:50:11] ERR [panel] APS Catalog error: Lock Manager error: 'Permission denied'.

Someone in https://talk.plesk.com/threads/issue-after-upgrading-to-plesk-12-5.335313/ suggested they solved their Lock Manager issue by fixing permissions in /usr/local/psa - didn't say which permissions exactly tho, where can I check? I could only find forum threads with broken links concerning plesk's system permissions...

If you had a solution for this or just some more ideas that I could give a try or articles I might have missed...that would be really appreciated!

Oh sorry, forgot to paste exact version:
#plesk version
Product version: 12.5.30 Update #25
Update date: 2016/03/20 14:54
Build date: 2016/02/01 11:00
OS version: Ubuntu 12.04
Revision: 344620
Architecture: 64-bit
Wrapper version: 1.2

Hello,

Make sure that the ownership is correct for these directories:

# stat /usr/local/psa/var/cache/ /usr/local/psa/var/ | egrep "File|Uid"
File: ‘/usr/local/psa/var/cache/’
Access: (0700/drwx------) Uid: ( 997/ psaadm) Gid: ( 0/ root)
File: ‘/usr/local/psa/var/’
Access: (0755/drwxr-xr-x) Uid: ( 997/ psaadm) Gid: ( 1000/ psaadm)

Hi Alex,
thank you very much, it seems like everything is working now! Owner of /usr/local/psa/var/cache/ was root instead of psaadm.

Back