• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Locking subscriptions?

LionKing

Regular Pleskian
Server operating system version
Ubuntu Linux
Plesk version and microupdate number
So I been searching for an answer as I am new to Plesk and my question which I am attempting to find an answer to is "what is the function and point of locking subscriptions?".

Note that we are not reselling web space or anything like that .
We´re a specialized sales and marketing agency for B2B tech and financial companies [redacted], so we are not hosting for external parties, (The only exception is we might host something for our clients in one of their ongoing marketing/sales projects). So our use of control panels not for the sake of hosting (In the past c-panel or just plain raw Linux/Window servers), but to partition our servers for various business functions/web apps within the company. Using a UI is just easier and better management tool in our opinion.

Anyway; so we decided to go with Plesk this time and that leaves me with a steep learning curve of digging through the documentation.
I just haven't been lucky to find an answer to this question yet.
Maybe you guys could enlighten me please?

Thanks a bunch.. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @LionKing. You can't manually lock a subscription. A subscription will only become locked when you manually change something with a subscription's service plan. This is so if changes were made to a service plan it doesn't overwrite whatever you've already overwritten of a subscription. You can refer to the following article that talks more about service plans and such:

Ah ok, now I get it. Thank you @scsa20 !
So basically they lock so they won't mess with the existing subscription plan.
So what we need to do is to create some custom subscription plans that fits out needs and then they will not be locked.

I think you're still getting kinda confused.

Basically a subscription will have an associated service plan. You can change the service plan of a subscription whenever you want. The service plan applies specific services (such as storage quotas, bandwidth quotas, specific PHP properties, PHP versions available, etc.). This way when you update a service plan, all subscriptions that uses that service plan will be updated automatically.

But there might be times when you need to do something specific to a subscription that a service plan doesn't offer, in that case you can manually update the subscription with the changes without making the change to the service plan. Doing this will lock the subscription so later down the line you make changes to the service plan, the subscription itself that you've manually change won't be affected. You can always go to the subscription and tell it to unlock and sync to the service plan later as well.

But this only applies if you're acting like a reseller. If you're not reselling web hosting at all, then you technically don't need to worry about it. I know I don't, and I just use the default Unlimited service plans for my domains, a few of the subscriptions is locked because I've done some manual changes to it but it doesn't affect anything (I could technically unlock and sync but since I don't actually use the service plans since I'm not reselling hosting and is all for personal use I don't care enough lol).

But I would highly recommend reading up on service plans and subscriptions if you're planning on reselling hosting but if you're not then I wouldn't be concern.

That above will go into more details of service plans and subscriptions

Sorry I meant service plan. Tired and very late here. Almost 03:00 am here and still gridning.
Thanks a bunch for taking time to explain things to me.

But this only applies if you're acting like a reseller. If you're not reselling web hosting at all, then you technically don't need to worry about it.
Well as you already know we do not sell hosting. My idea is just to create a few service plans that removes unnecessary services as to improve like for example security as some webapps doesn't use some of the default features. For example the wordpress kit for a non wp site is not needed.

Back