• Please be aware: Kaspersky Anti-Virus has been deprecated
    With the upgrade to Plesk Obsidian 18.0.64, "Kaspersky Anti-Virus for Servers" will be automatically removed from the servers it is installed on. We recommend that you migrate to Sophos Anti-Virus for Servers.
  • The Horde webmail has been deprecated. Its complete removal is scheduled for April 2025. For details and recommended actions, see the Feature and Deprecation Plan.

Question Log rotation time

JuanCar

Regular Pleskian
Server operating system version
Almalinux 9.4
Plesk version and microupdate number
Plesk Obsidian 18.0.62 #2
I've set log rotation with a month frequency. So every first day month logs are rotated and compressed.
But at what time does it happen?. Can we set this time?
Yesterday, August 1, my logs were rotated at 19 hours!!!

Yes I know monthly is every month, the first day. Ok. But I ask about the time in the day: 03:04:00, 15:00...
I see that every day web logs are processed at about 03:xx or 04:xx
Where are set times of day for this crontabs?

In Plesk interface I do:
Websites and Domains, find the domain whose logs i want to see, click Logs, and then click Log Rotation
Here I can choice By Size or By Time
And the question is at what time is the rotation made?
(And a similar question for daily log process: from access.log to access.log.processed)
1722615036447.png

Log rotation (when rotated by time) is handled by the OS via Anacron. You can configure the time frame in which Anacron tasks are started which the START_HOURS_RANGE option in /etc/anacrontab.

If you like to read up on some background about log rotation and Anacron this article explains it pretty well:

Back