• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

long connection wait in ftp

S

swebs

When FTPing into my box (redhat fc2) there is a long pause at the connecting data channel.

Running Plesk 7.5.2 and after seaching the forums here I did the follow but still no fix.

1. Made sure
UseReverseDNS off
IdentLookups off
were in my proftpd.conf

2. made sure -Rt0 was in my
/etc/xinetd.d/smtp_psa

3. restarted xintd
service xinetd restart

still the same slowness.

Any help or suggestions would be great.

Thanks in advance.

No one has any suggestions??

I even tried configuring proftpd in standalone instead of through xinetd but its still the same long wait.

service smtp
{
socket_type = stream
protocol = tcp
wait = no
disable = no
user = root
instances = UNLIMITED
server = /var/qmail/bin/tcp-env
server_args = -Rt0 /var/qmail/bin/relaylock /var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd /var/qmail/bin/smtp_auth /var/qmail/bin/true /var/qmail/bin/cmd5checkpw /var/qmail/bin/true
}

your smtp_psa file looks just fine ...... hmmm that's what did the trick for me....

Also remember to do the same for smtps_psa .......

Anyone out there have any ideas?? I'm stumped :(

Try updating to 7.5.3, but I doubt that will fix the problem. It is now safe to upgrade to 7.5.3, not the 7.5.4 beta :)

I tried that but I get an error during the upgrade.

error: Failed dependencies:
psa-api-common = 7.5.2 is needed by (installed) psa-api-rpc-7.5.2-rh9.build75050128.10

How are you upgrading? RPM? or autoinstaller? Is this a VPS?

I posted this in an earlier thread today:

Is your firewall limiting any of the ports between 1024-65534 (incoming or outgoing)?

See the proftpd docs on passive port ranges.

http://www.proftpd.org/localsite/Userguide/linked/config_ref_PassivePorts.html

I believe the 'default' is for it to try to allocate ports:

PassivePorts 49152 65534

If it cannot allocate, then it has to do additional processing to get kernel allocated ports to use which could be contributing to a delay.

Poke,

I was attempting the autoinstaller, because I am not super familar with the rpm method steps.

jamesyeeoc,

Thanks I think that worked.

Here is what I did.

I used the PassivePorts line in my proftpd.conf file and set it to a small range of about 30 starting from 49152
(since you have to open each port 1 by 1 in plesk firewall.) :(

Then opened that range in the firewall.

It seems like it is responding better now. I'll see if the customers stop complaining and then I'll know for sure.

Back