• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Forwarded to devs Mail certificate is no longer assigned after it gets renewed by Let's Encrypt

Maarten.

Golden Pleskian
Plesk Guru
Username:

TITLE

Mail certificate is no longer assigned after it gets renewed by Let's Encrypt

PRODUCT, VERSION, OPERATING SYSTEM, ARCHITECTURE

CentOS Linux 7.9.2009
Plesk Obsidian Version 18.0.45 Update #2
SSL It! Version 1.11.0-1509

PROBLEM DESCRIPTION

Currently, Let's Encrypt is unable to secure the mail when the A record for a domain is pointed to another server.

I've implemented this workaround:

1. Go to Domains > domain.com > SSL/TLS Certificates
  2. Unassign the current certificate ad reissue a new certificate for the webmail only
  3. Create a web hosting enabled subdomain mail.domain.com
  4. Go to Domains > mail.domain.com > SSL/TLS Certificates
  5. Issue a new certificate
  6. Go to Domains > domain.com > Mail Settings
  7. Assign the certificate for mail.domain.com
This works fine until the certificate gets renewed. The mail certificate on domain.com is no longer assigned to mail.domain.com. It's empty.

As a workaround for this issue, I've added a cronjob:

/sbin/plesk bin subscription_settings -u domain.com -mail_certificate "Lets Encrypt mail.domain.com"

STEPS TO REPRODUCE

1. Go to Domains > domain.com > SSL/TLS Certificates
  2. Unassign the current certificate ad reissue a new certificate for the webmail only
  3. Go to Domains > mail.domain.com > SSL/TLS Certificates
  4. Issue a new certificate
  5. Go to Domains > domain.com > Mail Settings
  6. Assign the certificate for mail.domain.com
Wait until the certificate gets renewed. The mail certificate on domain.com is no longer assigned to mail.domain.com. It's empty.

ACTUAL RESULT

The mail certificate on domain.com is no longer assigned to mail.domain.com. It's empty.

EXPECTED RESULT

The mail certificate on domain.com is still assigned to mail.domain.com.

ANY ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

(DID NOT ANSWER QUESTION)

YOUR EXPECTATIONS FROM PLESK SERVICE TEAM

Confirm bug

I have a similar problem. I cant use webmail because there is no certificate assigned. When I issue a new certificate and assign ist to webmail it works for a couple of minutes but then it disappears. In plesk it says that the issue will be fixed automatically...
How to fix this?

I also have a similar problem. A-Record points to another server. I'm trying to issue a brand new Let's encrypt certificate for webmail.domain.com but I only get the error "No domains have passed validation". Hosting is deactivated on this mail only server (as described in this article: https://support.plesk.com/hc/en-us/...s+encrypt+-+no+domains+have+passed+validation). The strange thing is, that the response tries to issue the certificate for the main domain name and not only for the webmail subdomain. Of course for the main domain this request will fail, because the A-Record points to another server.

I have also tried to use the CLI tool to issue the certificate only for the webmail-Subdomain:
plesk bin extension --exec letsencrypt cli.php -d webmail.c-studio.com -m [email protected]

But I only get the following error message:
ERR [extension/letsencrypt] The execution of cli.php has failed with the following message:
Could not find any domain to install.

Attachments

• webmailsslcert.jpg
    webmailsslcert.jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 7
While this has been previously submitted as a product issue, it is actually a feature request. Please vote for it here: Add possibility issue Let's Encrypt SSL certificate for mail server when the "A" DNS record for domain is pointing to another server
I disagree. That's a related but different issue, which would indeed also be nice to have.

The reported issue here is when you actually create a subdomain (mail.example.com), issue a Let's Encrypt certificate for it, and then on the main domain's (example.com) "Mail Settings" screen you select that subdomain's certificate to secure the mail server (SSL/TLS certificate for mail). This actually works, but when the certificate for the subdomain is automatically renewed, it isn't "picked up" by the main domain until you go to the "Mail Settings" form again and submit it, without modifying anything.

The result is that when the old certificate expires, mail clients configured to use SSL stop working until you resubmit that form.

While this has been previously submitted as a product issue, it is actually a feature request. Please vote for it here: Add possibility issue Let's Encrypt SSL certificate for mail server when the "A" DNS record for domain is pointing to another server
Peter, do you have any update on this issue? By this issue I mean the original post from @maartenv and my own post:

Martin

@Peter Debik - I find it quite astonishing that this feature has not yet been incorporated into Plesk. Our support team is currently managing an extensive Excel list containing hundreds of domains, they have to manually renew every three months. This process consumes a significant amount of time each month.

Could someone please help escalate this matter to the Product Management team? It's imperative that they recognize the importance of addressing this issue.

Your assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Andreas

Back