• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Mail Enable + ClamAV + memailfilter.exe

M

mikelegg

Can someone please clarify something for me?

Mail Enable's web site says virus scanning is not supported by the Standard version of MailEnable that ships with Plesk.

Yet the way Plesk works would lead you to beleive otherwise.
For example I've installed ClamAV and when I go to Components Mangement >> AntiVirus it recognises that Clam is installed and allows me to set it as the default antivirus program. I can then go into any domain and configure virus checking for each mail account.

I notice that in the Agents>>MTA>>Properties dialog in Mail Enable standard you can set "Enable Pickup Event" and choose the "Program to execute on mail file". This defaults to "C:\Program Files\SWsoft\Plesk\admin\bin\memailfilter.exe"

So my question is .... does memailfilter.exe extend the capabilites of MailEnable to enable virus scanning of emails?

If it doesn't, I fear there may be many Plesk users who think their mail is being scanned when it isn't.

PS how can we test whether anything is actually happening?

I emailed myself the EICAR test virus and it wen't straight through without any detection.

memailfilter.exe is required by Plesk.
However Plesk is shipped with DrWeb and Kaspersky antiviruses. I can say that they check mail.

I've done some more tests and ClamAV is now blocking the EICAR test. So it looks like memailfilter.exe allows the default Plesk Antivirus program to perform email scanning via MailEnable Standard using the Pickup Event. (Which MailEnable Standard on it's own can't do according the MailEnable web site)

This is all very cool, but I wish there was some clear documentation about it.

Back