• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Mail Relay Issue

R

rolly

Windows 2003 server hosted with Softlayer, running plesk and MailEnable.

I have denied relay on my server for all IP's except the ones of the server itself.

I tested settings using telnet, tried to relay via my local machine on my remote server and send mail, but am unable to as it should be. It shows a proper message, that it requires authentication to send to non-local senders and blah blah.

But, in my SMTP outbound queues, I have so many messages which have strange sender domains and non-local recipient address, hows it possible? Am i missing some configuration setting?

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Regards
RM

Hi,

By default relay without authentication allowed only for local connections i.e. 127.0.0.1.

It depends on which address you tried to send email: local or remote.

If it was remote then the result is correct.

As to emails it is probably that some script on the server generate them.

Check your server for web-mail applications or webmailing scripts - that might have security issues or allow any input including "to" or "from" addresses. Often these will leave tracks in the raw MSG files, so you can see that it was from a specific web-based function.

Back