• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Mail server is on spamlist

PrimeMikael96

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
Debian 4.19
Plesk version and microupdate number
Plesk Obsidian Web Pro Edition 18.0.48
Hi everyone
My outgoing mail is being blocked by certain mail servers with the following error:
<[email protected]>:
host mail.abuseat.org[54.93.50.35] said: 550 *** The
HELO for IP address 135.125.236.186 was 'vps-995ac652.localdomain' (invalid
syntax) *** (in reply to RCPT TO command)

I don't know how to set up correctly my HELO/EHLO values for my domain? Can anyone give me advice how to do it?

Hi @PrimeMikael96,
Depending on your IP address or hostname you may be on certain blacklists. I would advise you to use a SMTP relay to ensure email deliverability.
A couple SMTP Relay options depending on your needs:
  • Amazon SES (paid)
  • MXRoute (paid)
  • Mail.baby (paid)
  • Sendgrid (free up to 100/day)
  • Sendinblue (free up to 300/day)
Some good tutorials:

@PrimeMikael96 Please make sure that the public host name that you have configured in Plesk for your server is not a placeholder local domain name, but a domain that can be accessed through the Internet and is routed to your server.

Hi @PrimeMikael96,

First of all, helocheck is just checking for the helo messages so I wouldn't risk my life on that. Doing a check on the IP address listed points to me that the domain it's tied to is mail.fillinks.com. Doing a check on mxtoolbox shows that the settings are fine

What I do is send an email to one of my gmail accounts and if it goes to spam I would open the original email to view header details and go from there. Most of the time, the HELO responses is basically ignored since mine comes back with localhost.localdomain but doesn't go to the spam folder.

Back