• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue mail server not sending

Felix90

Basic Pleskian
Hello guys,

my mails started to get stuck in the queue since a few hours now. Worked perfectly fine this morning, but when I checked later it did not send anymore to a freshly created mail on the standard 1and1 mail server.
Other mail accounts send to the new account at 1and1 just fine but no account is receiving anything from my account running on the plesk server linux centOS7

any ideas?

hello UFHH01,

I am sorry for the delay, but I was on unable to find any log file on my plesk panel :(

Just have a queue full of mails. Running Plesk Server 12.5.3 on CentOS 7 on a 1and1 CloudServer. The Mail Server is Postfix.

Having the issue with all mails send from my wordpress installations as well as I just saw. It is now sending mails to me. All end up in queue forever.

Can you tell me how to find and provide logs and get help?
I have access via Plesk Web Interface and SSH, but no idea how ssh would give me logs.

oh ich hab gerade gesehen, du bist aus Hamburg, du kannst mir also auch auf deutsch antworten, wenn dir das lieber ist.

Vielen Dank erstmal!

Hi Felix90,

pls. INSPECT your log - files, as for example:

Code:
... localhost postfix/smtp[23802]: connect to mx01.emig.gmx.net[212.227.17.5]:25: Connection timed out
... localhost postfix/smtp[23802]: 161FD120299D9: to=XXXXX, relay=none, delay=19566, delays=19506/0.02/60/0, dsn=4.4.1, status=deferred (connect to mx01.emig.gmx.net[212.227.17.5]:25: Connection timed out)

You will notice, that these are routing failures.

Check it for example with :

telnet mx01.emig.gmx.net 25 -b XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX

... where XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX is your IP used for the domain XYZ.

Go to "Tools & Settings > Mail Server Settings > Outgoing mail mode" and choose your desired configuration and test again after any changes.

If you experience further issues/problems/failures, pls. consider to add your postfix - configuration files "main.cf" and "master.cf", located at "/etc/postfix/" for further investigations.

Hey, I can not find anything in those settings.

I assume you mean this:
Postausgangsmodus
Über Domain-IP-Adressen senden
Über Domain-IP-Adressen senden und Domainnamen in SMTP-Begrüßung verwenden
Über die angegebenen IP-Adressen senden

It is set to "Send via Domain IP Address" or whatever the english equivalent is ;-)

But I also tried the second option, the third should be the same as the first if I understood correctly.

Hi Felix90,

The "best" ( recommended ) method would be:
Über Domain-IP-Adressen senden und Domainnamen in SMTP-Begrüßung verwenden
Pls. consider to post your configuration files, if you need further help with your investigations. ;)

Ok, I will upload the pictures of this site here. Is there any configuration file I can get from the server to post? So you have a better overview?
Sorry I am new to Linux and those web hosting configuration.

Find the pictures attached.settings1.png settings2.png settings3.jpg

Hi Felix90,

nice screenshots ( pls. don't be angry about this joke!! ), but could you please post the "real" configuration files?

If you experience further issues/problems/failures, pls. consider to add your postfix - configuration files "main.cf" and "master.cf", located at "/etc/postfix/" for further investigations.

Hi Felix90,

eeehm: "Reverse DNS Lookup for XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX" => No such host XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX.in-addr.arpa.

Your IP doesn't resolve anywhere. Please check your DNS - settings at the Control Panel of your server hoster( 1und1 ) and make sure to use the correct IP, as provided by them for your server.

DNS seems to be correct at least from what I see. The issue occurs on ALL pages (wordpress php sendmail whatever) and email addresses/accounts on my plesk 1und1 cloud server. So domains have differents settings (mx records for exchange e.g.) and it works on neither of them.
So whether I try to send an email via the webmail or an external client it won't arrive on any email address except from the accounts / domains hosted on my server.

What are we looking for in the DNS settings? I have about 20 domains and 10 sites running. Just moved everything to the cloud server and the email problem, is the last big bugger I got here :( but can not work with my wordpress sites when contact forms and anything else ain't working.
sites are for example: nck.de, trashnculture.com where the issue can be seen.

I know I sound stupid, but I have no idea how to fix it.
Do I have to redirect the servers IP to nck.de or any of the other domains?
I found a second IP but deactivated within the cloud panel:

212.227.174.66 -- Cloud Server 0
212.227.175.129 -- Nicht zugewiesen

within plesk I found this:
IP-Adresse 212.227.174.66 auf der Schnittstelle eno16777984
Allgemein
Öffentliche IP-Adresse
Eine öffentliche IP-Adresse kann verwendet werden, wenn sich Ihr Plesk Server hinter einer NAT befindet

Shall I enter one of the two addresses there as public ip address?

Sorry for bothering you :( new to this and start to feel a little stupid now.

Hi Felix90,

pls. check/modify your DNS - settings for each domain over the Control Panel of your domain registrar, because your rented server is not the initial nameserver for a domain, when you purchase it from a domain registrar.

At the moment, none of your IPs resolves to a FQDN, which should be setup over the Control Panel of your server hoster ( 1und1 ). The actual settings is "Reverse DNS (PTR record) not available"

Normally, these settings are named as "Reverse DNS" or something similiar. The general help pages from 1und1 link to the page:

After you setup your IPs to a FQDN and the reverse setting is done, you should add all these IPs over your Plesk Control Panel, in order to have the choice to choose one of the IPs for a domain, configured over your Plesk Control Panel.

Last edited by a moderator:
ah ok this seems to be (from what 1und1 says in their help center) the solution for mail server use of my cloudserver.

will try this first thing in the morning and report back!

Thanks a lot.

Does your DNS setup have a nameserver (an NS record) in the DNS list?
At the same time, does it have a PTR record pointing to itself? (looks something like: xx.xx.xx.xx/24 PTR domain.name) where xx... is your servers IP address.

Try a screen shot of a websites DNS setup from the server

Hey guys thanks for the wonderful care you're taking of me ;)

So the reverse DNS is set but still mails stuck in the queue and ain't be send out.

here is the example DNS settings from NCK.de

the other domains are using the 1&1 mail server als mx entry.

new mail log will be added as well.

Attachments

• dns1.JPG
    dns1.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 92
  • dns2.JPG
    dns2.JPG
    78.6 KB · Views: 70
Back