• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue mail server not sending

oh yeah since I renamed the server to cloudserver1.nck.de as his local domain, do I need to change the PTR record from nck.de to cloudserver1.nck.de or is this irrelevant?

Hi Felix90,

About the nck.de configuration: is it possible in general to use the plesk cloudserver to send out emails while the emails from the configuration set up in 1&1 DNS are pointing to our mail.nck.de exchange server for receiving and sending purposes?
I only want to send out emails from wordpress itself.
Pls. remember that your initial nameserver is the one from your domain - registrar... communicating mail - servers will ask for current DNS - entries and if they don't match, you will experience issues/problems/failures. When you setup the DNS - entries over the control panel from your domain registrar, pls. make sure, to adjust these settings on your server as well over the Plesk Control Panel for the specific domain.

Help yourself with for example:

... to check/test your settings/configuration/modifications. Especially "mxtoolbox" and "mail-tester" will point to misconfigurations, as suggested before in this thread. ;)

oh yeah since I renamed the server to cloudserver1.nck.de as his local domain, do I need to change the PTR record from nck.de to cloudserver1.nck.de or is this irrelevant?
Well, test it by yourself, if this is relevant or not, please:

Command to connect to your mail - server ( pls. replace the place-holder with your unique IP! ):

telnet XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX 25

Example output:
Code:
220 mail.YOUR-DOMAIN.COM ESMTP Postfix (Ubuntu)

With what name does your mail - server respond?
Is the name identical to your PTR setting?
If not, did you add the corresponding FQDN to your SPF - entry?
If not, be aware that your SMTP - greeting ( SMTP - Banner ) doesn't match your settings and you will experience issues/failures/problems - which you can control with for example "http://mxtoolbox.com/".

But ( !!! ) --- and here comes another Plesk feature --- you have the possibility to overrule your general mail - settings for outgoing eMails, when you modify the settings at: "Home > Tools & Settings > Mail Settings > Outgoing mail mode"

Possible values:
Send from domain IP addresses
Send from domain IP addresses and use domain names in SMTP greeting
Send from the specified IP addresses

Hey UFHH01,

I just understand half of what you said.
What and how can I do this:

I saw those features of plesk, but I do not see much of a difference between them, neither changed anything when I switched between them (ok could not select the third, but not sure anyway how to use my second public IP)

So I have all 14 mail tests passed on trashnculture.de, email receiving still works quick like a charm, but mails keep stucking in queue.

Will post the log with this post.

Attachments

• maillog1708.txt
    330.9 KB · Views: 4
Hi Felix90,

What and how can I do this:

Answer:
Command to connect to your mail - server ( pls. replace the place-holder with your unique IP! ):

telnet XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX 25

Where XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX has to be replaced with YOUR IP.

Your results are:
Code:
220 cloudserver1.nck.de ESMTP Postfix

250-PIPELINING
250-SIZE 10240000
250-ETRN
250-STARTTLS
250-AUTH DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5 PLAIN LOGIN
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
250-8BITMIME
250 DSN

I saw those features of plesk, but I do not see much of a difference between them, neither changed anything when I switched between them (ok could not select the third, but not sure anyway how to use my second public IP)
If my words for this suggestion are misleading for you, or just not understandable, you might consider to read the Plesk documentation about that feature:

If you experience issues now that you changed your DNS - settings correctly, where port 25 ( your standart SMTP - port for receiving eMails ) works "like a charm" as you wrote and port 110 ( your standart POP3 - port for delivering eMails ) is blocked, or unreachable, then it is mostly the case, that you either forgot to open that port in your ( possible ) firewall - settings, or dovecot is not listening to that port.

• Check the output of the commands:
netstat -tulpn | grep :110
and
service dovecot status
and
telnet XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX 110
... and you will notice, that port 110 is not declared as "opened". Suggestion, pls. check your dovecot mail-server and it's configuration.​

ok opened port 110 but still mails not sending. maybe it takes a while for all changes to take effect. will check again tomorrow morning.

ah it helps the mail to get white listed. read the documentation before, but this separate page I did not see before.

Hi Felix90,

if you are still not able to solve your issue with all the suggestions here in this thread and if you don't understand the need of configuration files, log - files and other requested outputs of your used commands over the command line, so that people willing to help you are able to help you with the investigations, pls. consider to contact for example the official Plesk support at "https://www.plesk.com/contact-us/support/", where experienced linux administrators help you to solve your issue(s). ;)

I am using Plesk through 1&1 and do not have a license number for that reason, I tried that but without this number I can not get through to where I can send a message.

I can provide the mail log again or anything else needed, I have tried everything and my mx record and domain check for trashnculture.de is perfect, but still no messages.

Hi Felix90,

I am using Plesk through 1&1 and do not have a license number for that reason, I tried that but without this number I can not get through to where I can send a message.
In that case, pls. consider to use the form:

I can provide the mail log again
Well, your "old" - log - file and configuration file(s) will not point to the ACTUAL issues/problems/failures, when you state:
I have reinstalled the server still NO mails sent.
Even that you could experience compairable issues/problems/failures, you changed the base of any previous investigation, which is now obsolete - I'm sure you agree with that.

it must be an issue with postfix. receiving mails works and the server seems to work.

I will post the content of the plesk postfix folder with all config files and whatever else is in there. maybe this gives us a clue? I checked but does not say much to me.

Attachments

• postfix.zip
    43.6 KB · Views: 1
  • maillog2608.txt
    350.7 KB · Views: 1
Hi Felix90,

From your mail - log:
Code:
warning: not set-gid or not owner+group+world executable: /usr/sbin/postdrop

You should check with

postfix check

and post the output please.

I really wonder, why you try to modify the standards ( external MX ), even that your basic configuration still doesn't work... but o.k. ... that 's up to you. :rolleyes:

I really recommend to go "back to basics" and start configuring your server with standards and modify later additional or replacing MX - servers.

The standard is:
  1. Install your server
  2. Add all possible IPs over the Plesk Control Panel
  3. Modify the "hostname" to your desired name and see again: => #24
  4. Reboot your server and login back in to you Plesk Control Panel
  5. Modify/Adjust your basic mail - server settings.
  6. Add a MAIN - domain over Plesk
  7. Configure the DNS - settings at the name - server from your domain - registrar the same way, as you can see over the Plesk Control Panel at your DNS - settings for the depending domain - leave out the NS - entries from the Plesk Control Panel, if your initial nameserver should be the ones from your domain registrar ( recommended!!! )
  8. Add a Test - eMail - account over the Plesk Control Panel at your depending domain
  9. Test as suggested at => #22
  10. Smile, because all went fine with the standards

Will work myself through all of this. settings of dns are currently all standard, no external mx or so (nck excluded I have other domains I did try it on)

postfix/postfix-script: warning: not set-gid or not owner+group+world executable : /usr/sbin/postdrop
that was what came when I entered postfix check

OK left Mail to it`s standard settings, set the DNS template regarding to the 1&1 settings:
<domain>.

NS ns-de.1and1-dns.com.
<domain>. NS ns-de.1and1-dns.org.
<domain>. NS ns-de.1and1-dns.biz.
<domain>. NS ns-de.1and1-dns.de.
<domain>. A <ip>
<domain>. AAAA <ipv6>
<domain>. MX (20) mx00.kundenserver.de.
<domain>. MX (25) mx01.kundenserver.de.
<domain>. TXT spf1 mx a +a:<hostname> ip4:213.187.91.124 ?all
_dmarc.<domain>. TXT v=DMARC1; p=none; rua=mailto:[email protected]; ruf=mailto:[email protected]; fo=0; adkim=r; aspf=r; pct=100; rf=afrf; ri=86400; sp=none?
ftp.<domain>. CNAME <domain>.
ipv4.<domain>. A <ip>
ipv6.<domain>. AAAA <ipv6>
mail.<domain>. A <ip>
mail.<domain>. AAAA <ipv6>
webmail.<domain>. A <ip>
webmail.<domain>. AAAA <ipv6>

now name server and mx is the same as the registrars.
postfix error fixed.

emails still stuck in the queue... unbelievable :(

have this as an example domain with plain plesk standard settings and my settings to sync dns entries with 1&1:
Host

Eintragstyp
Wert
wolf-toner.de. MX (20) mx00.kundenserver.de.
mail.wolf-toner.de. A 212.227.174.66
wolf-toner.de. TXT spf1 mx a +a:cloudserver1.nck.de ip4:213.187.91.124 ?all
wolf-toner.de. NS ns-de.1and1-dns.com.
wolf-toner.de. MX (25) mx01.kundenserver.de.
_dmarc.wolf-toner.de. TXT v=DMARC1; p=none; rua=mailto:[email protected]; ruf=mailto:[email protected]; fo=0; adkim=r; aspf=r; pct=100; rf=afrf; ri=86400; sp=none?
ipv4.wolf-toner.de. A 212.227.174.66
wolf-toner.de. NS ns-de.1and1-dns.biz.
wolf-toner.de. NS ns-de.1and1-dns.de.
webmail.wolf-toner.de. A 212.227.174.66
ftp.wolf-toner.de. CNAME wolf-toner.de.
wolf-toner.de. A 212.227.174.66
wolf-toner.de. NS ns-de.1and1-dns.org.
www.wolf-toner.de. CNAME wolf-toner.de.

Hi Felix90,

your 1&1 - MX - server is not a standard at all, as you can see, when you inspect the DNS - settings for the domain "wolf-toner.de" over you Plesk Control Panel ( withtout editing templates ).

set the DNS template regarding to the 1&1 settings:
WHY? :confused:
Configure the DNS - settings at the name - server from your domain - registrar the same way, as you can see over the Plesk Control Panel at your DNS - settings for the depending domain - leave out the NS - entries from the Plesk Control Panel, if your initial nameserver should be the ones from your domain registrar ( recommended!!! )
We are turning in circles here, Felix, if you keep using an external MX server. Just try to follow the suggested steps, pls. You could modify your MX - settings to an external MX - server AFTER you successfully installed a standard, working domain with Plesk.

i can not leave the NS out it said: at least 1 NS is required, so I just added the 1&1 NS entries (4 of them are set on the registrars side for each domain)
so everything else was set to what I have within 1&1. the mail.domain is pointing to the plesk server. so it is not an external mx. oh yeah I added mx 10 for mail.domain so the plesk server takes emails first. that is what you meant with external mx? take the mail.domain and remove the mx 1&1

Hi Felix90,

when I write "leave out the Plesk NS - entries"... I mean, that you should SKIP that part, when copying the settings from Plesk to the nameserver of your domain registrar. Leave the NS - entries in Plesk and pls. leave the settings at the nameserver of your domain registar as they are. ;)

External MX - entries are ALL entries, which do not link to your server IP and it's domains.
"mx01.kundenserver.de" is an external MX.

Back