• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue Maillog not logging all actions

H.W.B

Regular Pleskian
Hello,

Today i updated from Plesk 17.8 to 18.0
I noticed that in the maillog not all action is logged anymore.

When i check my mail with my mailclient i receive new mails and no errors are given,
But when i check the mail.log, there are no entries shown, that i was checking my mail and logging into the mail server.

Is this a bug or is must i configure something else....

Henk

Yes, Nothing changed there, and i am receiving messages....
My mail client connects every 5 minutes to the server, but that actions is not logged!!!! Only sometimes.... But not every 5 minutes

I am not aware that the log level changes when an upgrade is done. On a normal log level, all important things are logged like login/logout, incoming mail and outgoing mail. By default, there is no "debug" level set to "on", so the very standard settings should do the job.

What operating system is being used? And what mail server? Postfix? Sendmail? What mail server is used for mailboxes, e.g. Courier, Dovecot?

I am using CentOS Linux 7.8.2003 (Core)
And Plesk Obsidian Version 18.0.28,
Mailserver is Postfix 3.4.8-2 with Dovecot 2.3.10.1-2

On CentOS the mail log is named "maillog", not "mail.log". In your first post you wrote "mail.log". Maybe it is just a typo, but maybe This is the reason why you don't see anything logged (looking into a wrong file). Could you please verify that you are looking into maillog, not mail.log?

You are correct. The filename is maillog. And that is the file i look in. Just a typo.

Could you please check whether you have a non-standard log level configuration in rsyslog? Please run this command and post the output here:
# cat /etc/rsyslog.conf | grep mail

The default on CentOS 7.8 is:
Code:
# Log anything (except mail) of level info or higher.
*.info;mail.none;authpriv.none;cron.none                /var/log/messages
# Log all the mail messages in one place.
mail.*                                                  -/var/log/maillog

If you see the same output, things on the system are alright and all transactions should be logged to maillog as you knew it from the previous setup.

# Log anything (except mail) of level info or higher.
*.info;mail.none;authpriv.none;cron.none /var/log/messages
# Log all the mail messages in one place.
mail.* -/var/log/maillog

This look the same.
But not all actions are logged.
I only use IMAP as email. Could this has something to do with it???

Could you provide an example log excerpt that shows a "before" and an "after" situation? I cannot imagine what your log looks like, I have never had a similar symptom before, so maybe it's an illusion and all is correct? On our Onyx (17.8) machines and Obsidian (18.0.28) machines there does not seem to be a difference in logging. So I wonder what yours looked before the upgrade and how it is looking now.

I can put logfiles here but they are large...
The problem is, that when my mailclient at home checks for mail, and connects to the mailserver, there should be an entry in the maillog.
But that is not done always but sometimes.. My mail client checks every 5 minutes every email account (more then 50!!). So i must see these actions in the maillog.
But there are many 'gaps' in te logging. It does not always log the checking for mail action.
The logging in my mailclient shows all action every 5 minutes, and reports no errors what so ever.
And that is the problem,,,,,
I already tried the repair mail function, but nothing changed.

I've never heard of a case where some transactions are logged and others are not. It's technically not possible, because there is no conditional switch that decides that some transactions are logged only. What could be the case that the display is omitting certain transactions that are identical to others. Instead it will write something like "+n omitted" or similar. I am afraid without a detailed analysis on the machine I cannot tell what is going on. My impression however is that everything is done correctly.

Back