• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue Manually recover files from Plesk backup

easyware

Basic Pleskian
Hi, I have an issue with a website, so I thought getting the last complete backup from my FTP server as for now the recovery from the Plesk panel is lasting 24 hours and counting.
Before the changes with the TZST compression there were no problems doing that, but now it is two days that I am trying to figure out what to do.
So, here are my steps..

Recovered all the .TAR* files from my FTP server
Merged all the files in one .TAR (cat tar_name.tar* > single_archive.tar")
As I try to unpack this big .TAR with The Unarchiver on macOS I get a warning that the file is corrupted
"Continue" the software proceeds to unpack but all I get are two backup_user-data_2203200139.tzst (and .tzst1) - 2.15GB each (the full backup is around 40GB)
---
Found a software that opens .TZST (peazip on macOS, 7Zip on Windows) all I get is a "backup_user-data_2203200139", 2GB with no extension.

This is all I get inside the backup, am I doing something wrong?

Hi,

I think you also need to extract the contents of the "backup_user-data_2203200139" file. Even if it has no extension you should be able to do it with the same tool as with the .tzst file.

Hi Akrolis, thank you for your hints, I tried everything but that file can't be decompressed.
It would be interesting to know the right structure of the backup and if I am missing something during the unpacking.
Just trying to extract from the first TAR I get errors..

Anyone able to figure this out? I need to recover a down site but the back in this format has been impossible for me to recover for some reason. I'm on macOS and I have all the .tar files but cannot decompress. I've installed Zstandard, I've used PeaZip and nothing seem to decompress the files for me.

I tried to select just the .tar, .tar1 and tar1-.tar56 at the same time.

Screen Shot 2022-04-08 at 3.22.26 PM.png

Anyone able to figure this out? I need to recover a down site but the back in this format has been impossible for me to recover for some reason. I'm on macOS and I have all the .tar files but cannot decompress. I've installed Zstandard, I've used PeaZip and nothing seem to decompress the files for me.

I tried to select just the .tar, .tar1 and tar1-.tar56 at the same time.

View attachment 20573

Got it to work. I have backups going to "Onedrive" so I downloaded them through there.
Just now I selected download but through the backup console in Plesk which is still downloading from one drive but for some reason PeaZip managed to open that properly.

Hi,

I think you also need to extract the contents of the "backup_user-data_2203200139" file. Even if it has no extension you should be able to do it with the same tool as with the .tzst file.

Hell, same problem here.
Did you find any solution ?

Ok, I maybe have done some progress here, here is what I have done, maybe it will be helpful..
  • Merged all the TARs
  • Extracted all the backup_user-data_XXXXX.tzst* (in the backup I tried with I have only .tzst and .tzst1)
  • Merged all the TZSTs
  • Extracted the extension-less file inside the complete TZST
  • Opened the extension-less file with the above version of 7zip (thank you Akrolis)
Inside the extension-less file I see a part of my server's files, looking at the error generated previously I guess that there is something corrupted inside these files, one hint is that merged_tars.tar is about 35GB, the merged_tzst is 4.5GB..

What I do is copying from my FTP the TARs of the first complete backup of the week, then Plesk proceeds to make incremental backups for the next 6 days.
Am I taking the right files? Attached a two weeks example.

Attachments

• Schermata 2022-05-17 alle 13.56.54.png
    Schermata 2022-05-17 alle 13.56.54.png
    690.1 KB · Views: 3
EDIT - Testing the merged_tar.tar of a recent backup gives me this error
ERRORS:
Headers Error
WARNINGS:
There are data after the end of archive
Physical Size = 4294968320
Tail Size = 37908280071
Headers Size = 1024
Code Page = UTF-8
Characteristics = ASCII
The tail size seems pretty much all the missing GBs

EDIT - Testing the merged_tar.tar of a recent backup gives me this error

The tail size seems pretty much all the missing GBs
Did you - or anyone else around here - end up figuring this out? I'm facing the exact same problem.

Back