• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Input matchup dns template (ftp) - lets encrypt

TomBoB

Regular Pleskian
Hi,

small suggestion for future improvement.

For yonks years now the default DNS template creates the CNAME entry for ftp.<domain> . Makes sense as it has been (still is?) the de facto standard forever for FTP access. [Yes I'm aware of other possibilities and configs]

If it's created on the one side, you might as well cover it on the other side and have lets encrypt secure it. [proftpd does support proper SNI these days :)]

Just my 2 pennies... ;-)

I think the problem with this is that "ftp" would need to be a storage space on the web server that can be accessed through ports 80 or 443. It would probably be a bit risky to create a kind of "virtual" domain for that, because people will start relying on it and later the Let's Encrypt group might change their policies on domain validated certificates. At least "ftp" would not only need to point to a space accessible on port 22, but also on some web space.

The idea is good, though. What you could do however is you could add a an alias "ftp" to your domain name, because then your certificate can simply include that alias. Have you tried that?

What you could do however is you could add a an alias "ftp" to your domain name, because then your certificate can simply include that alias.
I must admit, you lost me there. How do you create an alias subdomain for its own domain? Do you mean create a ftp subdomain? If so, not an option unfortunately.

I thought about hitting the "Add alias" button and enter the ftp subdomain as an alias to the main domain. That should do the trick. I have not tested it, but it should work.

Hi Peter, sorry for my earlier confusing answers. Got deleted.

What we forgot: even when creating the alias as you suggest, it would only secure the website side of things. It would not copy the cert for use on the FTP service - I'd have to come up with that manually / a script.
And at that point we're hitting my lack of knowledge about the exact internal workings of how Plesk handles FTP. But will make myself clever ;)

Back