• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Methods for Complete Servertransfer

The backup_file.sql is saved in the current directory.
To view it, list the files like this:
Code:
# ls -l

To restore:
mysql -u admin --password=`cat /etc/psa/.psa.shadow` --database=roundcubemail < backup_file.sql

The only reliable method to restore a full server setup is to have a shadow copy snapshot of the virtual machine. If your server is dedicated and your provider for that reasons naturally does not offer a snapshot feature (because it's technically impossible), it is not possible to have a full backup or restore unless using specialized 3rd party tools. Some mentioned that they were successful with an Acronis Backup tool.

Peter, you seem to be an expert on this: I got a Debian 10 Plesk server (vCPU) - and I want to move it to a new freshly installed Debian 12 vServer with a vanilla Plesk version. Not so many domains, but quite some extensions running. What would be your first option?

a) Plesk Migrate
b) Full Backup and then Restore-from-Backup on the new server?

I know there are going to be some "hickups" - but I want to know which should be the safer solution. Server: Some Webhosting, including WordPress, a lot of eMails. Thats about it.

my way for next migration is this:

fullbackup from old server
restore backup without customer data (only settings)
install migration tool on target, move all data via migration tool
close migration
restore roundcube database

i think this is the only way to get the most settings. if you have a small server and full restore is an option, take this... but we have 1000GB Server Storage and our server-hoster is from the year 2000. before jesus.

What would be your first option?
a) Plesk Migrate
b) Full Backup and then Restore-from-Backup on the new server?
I prefer Migrator, but technically, it is doing the same like backup & restore. It's just more realtime and gives you a more current state, e.g. for mailbox content.

Reactions: rgv
I prefer Migrator, but technically, it is doing the same like backup & restore. It's just more realtime and gives you a more current state, e.g. for mailbox content.

Thank you. I just completed the transfer vie Plesk Migrator. Everything went "quite smoothly" so far.

The biggest topic: How to obtain a license to be used on both servers while they run. The trial license does have limitations. Plesk tells you to contact them but so far I had zero response. I did what was I was told not to do: I basically activated my existing old server license within the new server - in parallel. So far it worked for 24 hours and now I simply deleted the old server. My license seems to be attached to the new server now and the new IP number - and the old one still ran until the migration was done. But still, this could have gone bad as well. I wish Plesk would offer an official, self-serviced process to migrate the license as well.

Happy to be on Debian 12 - from Debian 10.

I do understand your concern. I've created a Uservoice request for it here: Provide migration licenses 24/7, not only on workdays
Please vote for it. While I have no high hope that many will vote for it, the fact alone that the request has been captured will automatically bring the topic to the attention of the team members who are making decisions on the process.

Back