• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Methods for Complete Servertransfer

Thera

Regular Pleskian
Server operating system version
Debian 11.9
Plesk version and microupdate number
Version 18.0.58 Update #2
Hi,

we want to move our Server to another Provider. The last Upgrade installation was a disaster because in the Plesk Backups are many settings not incluceded, also the roundcube settings are not backupped. The Migration Tool cannot Transfer some Settings from Server or Roundcube.

What ist the right way and how can i backup roundcube completly with Contacts, Groups and Blacklists? Wich way is the best to Restore ALL Settings?

Thank you for tell me your methods!

The only reliable method to restore a full server setup is to have a shadow copy snapshot of the virtual machine. If your server is dedicated and your provider for that reasons naturally does not offer a snapshot feature (because it's technically impossible), it is not possible to have a full backup or restore unless using specialized 3rd party tools. Some mentioned that they were successful with an Acronis Backup tool.

Hi Peter,

thank you. i have tried this with veeam, but it doesnt support the virtualisation of alfahosting ("it seems that the linux server is a virtual machine in OpenVZ hypervisor." - veeam Support).

but i cant backup this and restore it because i have only vmware und hyper-v systems.

is it possible to backup rounrdcube with alle data?

# /usr/bin/mysqldump --lock-tables=false --user=admin --password=`cat /etc/psa/.psa.shadow` --add-drop-table roundcubemail >> backup_file.sql

Roundcube itself does not support such backup and restore operations. They changed their own database format between versions several times, for that reason Plesk does not back it up by default, because it cannot be guaranteed that on a new server it can be restored. But you can of course try it to restore the roundcubeemail table to your new server directly from the backup dump that you can do with the above shown command.

No, it does not work correctly, because files and database contents may change while rsync is running. This will lead to inconsistencies in files and databases.

Yes, it is impossible. The path to go is to install a fresh server and to restore all content from the full backup that was done on the old server. Expect issues, though. I've lately done that process several times, but let alone for minor differences in some software versions on the server there can be issues on the restore. However: All such issues can be resolved manually after a restore.

Plesk is aware that the Plesk Migrator and Plesk Backup need improvements, and we are continuously working on that. We're also planning a bigger update of Migrator for this year, but in the end, no migration or restore tool will be able to create a binary copy of a running server. If you have that requirement, I suggest using cloud servers with snapshot abilities. Many providers offer them. There you can restore the full server including everything to the point when the snapshot was taken. But it won't be a dedicated server then, but a cloud server instead.

we use a virtual machine as a cloud instance with snapthots, but we have no options to export the vm to another provider and the provider have not enough power for our requirements.

True, such snapshots normally cannot be transferred to other providers. Then Migrator or a restore from a backup are your best options.

No, it does not work correctly, because files and database contents may change while rsync is running. This will lead to inconsistencies in files and databases.
That's why you let rsync run and transfer the majority of files, then stop the sql server (maybe web- and mailserver too, but those are a lot more resilient than the sql server; however you'll probably get lots of sql server errors in the logs if you keep them running), and run rsync again until there's nothing transfered but logfiles.

Some other Questions:

- is it possible to make a automatic daily backup from complete roundcube remote or local?
- and what backups the acronis plugin?

# /usr/bin/mysqldump --lock-tables=false --user=admin --password=`cat /etc/psa/.psa.shadow` --add-drop-table roundcubemail >> backup_file.sql

Roundcube itself does not support such backup and restore operations. They changed their own database format between versions several times, for that reason Plesk does not back it up by default, because it cannot be guaranteed that on a new server it can be restored. But you can of course try it to restore the roundcubeemail table to your new server directly from the backup dump that you can do with the above shown command.
this doesnt work in my plesk test server... can you say what i have to edit?
and where can i find after backup task the file?

I've tested the mysqldump line that I provided and it works here. What error message does it show when you try it?

The "#" at the beginning of a line is a prompt sign for root. This is not part of the command, but indicates that the command should be entered es root. When you add it on the command line, all that follows it is a "comment".

To execute the command, run it without the prompt character "#". The command starts with /usr/bin/...

Back