1. Please take a little time for this simple survey! Thank you for participating!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dear Pleskians, please read this carefully! New attachments and other rules Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear Pleskians, I really hope that you will share your opinion in this Special topic for chatter about Plesk in the Clouds. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice

Migrate Emails from CPanel

Discussion in 'Plesk 10.x for Linux Issues, Fixes, How-To' started by DaGeek, Jun 7, 2012.

  1. DaGeek

    DaGeek New Pleskian

    11
     
    Joined:
    May 9, 2012
    Messages:
    15
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hello All:

    I have had my new server for a few weeks, now. I am ready to take the plunge and migrate my accounts from my old CPanel server. According to the migration documentation, I CAN migrate emails but not user accounts - I can live with this.

    So, last night, I moved 30 sites. All seems to be good EXCEPT, NONE of the email accounts can be accessed through my user's mail clients (Outlook, etc).

    When I add a NEW email account in the user's CP, it DOES work, so I know the settings are correct.

    I stumbled across this article earlier... I think it is suggesting that Parallels currently CANNOT import email accounts from CPanel!

    THEN WHY DOES THE DOCUMENTATION SAY YOU CAN?

    Seriously, I have over a hundred hours into this product, I've read all of the documentation, I've spent the money on the new server, and now I find I cannot move my client's accounts without having each of them (many who are really computer illerterate) get into their client's and change their password?

    PLEASE tell me there's a solution!

    BTW, even CHANGING the password on a migrated account fails - the only way to offer email is to create a NEW account from within the user CP.

    Please, Igor, don't tell me to read the manual - I have, and it says I CAN do this.
     
  2. IgorG

    IgorG Forums Analyst Staff Member

    49
    24%
    Joined:
    Oct 27, 2009
    Messages:
    24,543
    Likes Received:
    1,240
    Location:
    Novosibirsk, Russia
    Actually, there is problem with migration mail accounts from cPanel with crypted passwords.
    I can suggest you try following:

    1. Change password for mail accounts with something like:

    for i in `mysql -uadmin -p\`cat /etc/psa/.psa.shadow\` psa -Ns -e "select concat(mail.mail_name,\"@\",domains.name) as address from mail,domains,accounts where mail.dom_id=domains.id and mail.account_id=accounts.id order by address"`; do /usr/local/psa/bin/mail -u $i -passwd_type <plain|encrypted> -passwd <passwd>; done

    Modify this script according to '/usr/local/psa/bin/mail --help'/ And note, that password will be changed for ALL mailboxes for all domains. Modify SQL query if you need specify it for particular domains.

    2. Restore authentication with /usr/lib/plesk-9.0/mail_auth_dump

    3. Try to use full name of mailbox instead shortname for authentication in Outlook, etc.
     
  3. DonSTN

    DonSTN New Pleskian

    10
    85%
    Joined:
    Jun 26, 2012
    Messages:
    17
    Likes Received:
    0
    I feel your pain!

    I'm running into the same challenges and frustrations as well. This should work if they market as such. I'm still trying to get a solution figured out that does not require a days worth of work or the changing of a client's password.
     
  4. DaGeek

    DaGeek New Pleskian

    11
     
    Joined:
    May 9, 2012
    Messages:
    15
    Likes Received:
    0
    Solution.... I think

    I stumbled upon the fact the imported folders did not have the same permissions as email accounts created from within Plesk. So, I experimented and found that changing permissions AFTER importing the domain seems to do the trick!

    chown -R popuser.popuser /var/qmail/mailnames/domain.com
     
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
  5. DonSTN

    DonSTN New Pleskian

    10
    85%
    Joined:
    Jun 26, 2012
    Messages:
    17
    Likes Received:
    0
    Permissions fix made it work!

    Thank you. I ran almost the same command and it fixed all my permission problems:

    chown -R popuser:popuser /var/qmail/mailnames/*.com

    I don't know if it's safe to change the ownership of the directories in mailnames/* so I limit it to only *.com directories for the time being. Also note I use 'popuser:popuser' with a colon instead of a period. I don't know if that matters, just making sure to report exactly what worked for us.

    Just to re-cap since I know a lot of ppl are struggling with this issue. Mail would transfer from cPanel to Plesk, but would not be readable by the client in webmail, etc. It would say they had mail (as some files were owned correctly) but when actually trying to read the data in some way it would fail.

    Once the permissions were fixed with the chown command the mail will pull up in webmail correctly.
     
  6. DaGeek

    DaGeek New Pleskian

    11
     
    Joined:
    May 9, 2012
    Messages:
    15
    Likes Received:
    0
    I'm not sure about "webmail"... But Outlook worked OK w/o resetting passwords.
     
Loading...