• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Migrate Emails from CPanel

DaGeek

New Pleskian
Hello All:

I have had my new server for a few weeks, now. I am ready to take the plunge and migrate my accounts from my old CPanel server. According to the migration documentation, I CAN migrate emails but not user accounts - I can live with this.

So, last night, I moved 30 sites. All seems to be good EXCEPT, NONE of the email accounts can be accessed through my user's mail clients (Outlook, etc).

When I add a NEW email account in the user's CP, it DOES work, so I know the settings are correct.

I stumbled across this article earlier... I think it is suggesting that Parallels currently CANNOT import email accounts from CPanel!

THEN WHY DOES THE DOCUMENTATION SAY YOU CAN?

Seriously, I have over a hundred hours into this product, I've read all of the documentation, I've spent the money on the new server, and now I find I cannot move my client's accounts without having each of them (many who are really computer illerterate) get into their client's and change their password?

PLEASE tell me there's a solution!

BTW, even CHANGING the password on a migrated account fails - the only way to offer email is to create a NEW account from within the user CP.

Please, Igor, don't tell me to read the manual - I have, and it says I CAN do this.

Actually, there is problem with migration mail accounts from cPanel with crypted passwords.
I can suggest you try following:

1. Change password for mail accounts with something like:

for i in `mysql -uadmin -p\`cat /etc/psa/.psa.shadow\` psa -Ns -e "select concat(mail.mail_name,\"@\",domains.name) as address from mail,domains,accounts where mail.dom_id=domains.id and mail.account_id=accounts.id order by address"`; do /usr/local/psa/bin/mail -u $i -passwd_type <plain|encrypted> -passwd <passwd>; done

Modify this script according to '/usr/local/psa/bin/mail --help'/ And note, that password will be changed for ALL mailboxes for all domains. Modify SQL query if you need specify it for particular domains.

2. Restore authentication with /usr/lib/plesk-9.0/mail_auth_dump

3. Try to use full name of mailbox instead shortname for authentication in Outlook, etc.

I feel your pain!

I'm running into the same challenges and frustrations as well. This should work if they market as such. I'm still trying to get a solution figured out that does not require a days worth of work or the changing of a client's password.

Solution.... I think

I stumbled upon the fact the imported folders did not have the same permissions as email accounts created from within Plesk. So, I experimented and found that changing permissions AFTER importing the domain seems to do the trick!

chown -R popuser.popuser /var/qmail/mailnames/domain.com

Last edited:
Permissions fix made it work!

I stumbled upon the fact the imported folders did not have the same permissions as email accounts created from within Plesk. So, I experimented and found that changing permissions AFTER importing the domain seems to do the trick!

chown -R popuser.popuser /var/qmail/mailnames/domain.com

Thank you. I ran almost the same command and it fixed all my permission problems:

chown -R popuser:popuser /var/qmail/mailnames/*.com

I don't know if it's safe to change the ownership of the directories in mailnames/* so I limit it to only *.com directories for the time being. Also note I use 'popuser:popuser' with a colon instead of a period. I don't know if that matters, just making sure to report exactly what worked for us.

Just to re-cap since I know a lot of ppl are struggling with this issue. Mail would transfer from cPanel to Plesk, but would not be readable by the client in webmail, etc. It would say they had mail (as some files were owned correctly) but when actually trying to read the data in some way it would fail.

Once the permissions were fixed with the chown command the mail will pull up in webmail correctly.

Back