• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Migrate Website from One Server, Mail from Another?

G J Piper

Regular Pleskian
I'm running two Plesk Onyx servers. One has all the website for a given domain, and the other has no website but just email hosting for the domain. Can you help me find a way to migrate the website (a Wordpress website BTW) to a target server, and migrate the email to the same server/domain? I can get one or the other migrated successfully using Plesk Migrator, but trying to import just the website, or just the email after the first migration doesn't seem to work. Need to find the answer. Both servers with about 30 domains each are being moved to one Google Cloud server.

Both source servers are running Plesk Onyx 17.5.3 on CentOS 6.9.
The target server is running Plesk 17.5.3 on CentOS 7.4.1708.

Migrate sites with Plesk Migrator, then create mailboxes and then migrate content of mailboxes with imapsync or any other imap migration tools.

Thanks IgorG.

I ended up trying different scenarios all day in hope of avoiding manual creation of 200+ mailboxes on 30+ domains. Here is the only way I found to do the migration keeping the website and email accounts intact:

• Migrate "Email-Only Plan" Subscription fully. Migrating the (nonexistent) website, email accounts, and databases.
  • Change Plan on the migrated Subscription to one that includes both Email and Website Hosting.
  • Enable the Web Hosting in Migrated Email-Only Subscription with username that is NOT the same username as the Website-Only Subscription to be migrated next.
  • Migrate Website-Only Subscription WITHOUT mail messages.
  • Remove default index.html file from document root of migrated website.

If you have the same main usernames on both servers for each domain, you run into errors. The key to avoiding the user-account errors is to do the email server migration first so you can manually add the web hosting username making sure it is different that the one you'll be migrating from the website-only server second.

I was successful in migrating the email Subscription with all the email accounts fully from one server, and migrating the Wordpress website into the same Subscription from a different server by doing it in just this order. I tried many different approaches, and this is the only one that worked. Hope this helps someone!

By the way... I only had to figure this out because I took your advice in this thread lol: Important - Removing deadweight in Plesk Onyx 17.8

Back