• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Migrating Plesk 10.x to new box... Interesting!

NeuroPsyche

Regular Pleskian
I just migrated Plesk 10.x, and all it's sites to a new box. It went flawlessly.
The old server has been running for over 10 years and problems just have been poping up here and there.

You would all know that 10 years ago would have brought us back to Plesk version 6, with Sitebuilder. The box has been able to make it though all those years to the most currentl Plesk 10.4.4.

What struct me as odd. Everyone knows that Sitebuilder is no more... at least no more in production. WPB
(Web Presence Builder) too it's place.

I migrated about 30 sites, all that had SB 4.5.x sites behind them. The migration worked, and so did the sites.

What confuses me is how? How are the SB sites still functioning? They have SB's modules which WPB does not. There are sites with stores, using the 'online store' module in SB. Forums, blogs, image gallery.. etc. The only thing that I noticed is that pictures are missing that were using the 'image gallery' module.

So, how comes these modules still work? The forums load, the stores load, etc... They don't exist in WPB.
... and to top it off, I dont' have SB 4.5 install on the new box...

I'm going to try to hold off until Plesk 11 is release and hope that there is some replacement modules that SB 4.5 had.
We need the image gallery, forums, blog, store, and all those little goodies that made life easy. Not to mention we need a forms module, file manager, download/upload module... and I could go on and on...

Hi Dave,

Can you check and tell me if your old SB 4.5 sites can be edited via Panel UI on your new box? Also, it might be possible that your old sites are working (and editable) because they are connected to SB 4.5 on your old box.

When it comes to new modules, WPB has Image Gallery (since 10.3), Blog (since 10.4), Online Store (since 10.3), Contact Form (since 10.1) and Document Manager (since 10.4 - not exactly a File Manager, but you can use it for uploading files and creating download links).

I'd appreciate if you can tell me what other modules (or little goodies) you feel WPB is missing. Thank you for your feedback!

Hi Dave,

Can you check and tell me if your old SB 4.5 sites can be edited via Panel UI on your new box? Also, it might be possible that your old sites are working (and editable) because they are connected to SB 4.5 on your old box.

When it comes to new modules, WPB has Image Gallery (since 10.3), Blog (since 10.4), Online Store (since 10.3), Contact Form (since 10.1) and Document Manager (since 10.4 - not exactly a File Manager, but you can use it for uploading files and creating download links).

I'd appreciate if you can tell me what other modules (or little goodies) you feel WPB is missing. Thank you for your feedback!

Hello Custer,
The old box is offline, had to because of IP conflicts. I setup the new box with the same IP schemes as the old when
I put it online.
The 'edit site in Legacy SB' little icon is gone now on domains. I didn't install SB 4.5... No need to with version 11 soon to be released.
The migration went really well... better than I ever expected, especially for how long the old box was online. Since Plesk 6 I believe... It developed quite a few bugs so it was time to start from fresh.
As to WPB goodies, I could fill a book...
This is me, but I think any IT that manages/creates web sites would say the same thing.
Most importantly... The sites need to be dynamic, in every way. Drop and drag. The main header picture should be able to be a swf.. Shochwave.
Here are some ideas for you:

1) User login page, new, existing, user. Collects information on user such as username, name, address, phone, for anything else. Again, being dynamic is good. Logs users IP when user signs in. Logs to the userfile of that username. Use the same code you have for the forms so a sysop can build what is needed. Also, security level/permissions is needed.

2) File upload / download manager, with security/premission levels for users using #1. Allows storage of files to a
logical specification.

3) Picture gallery / upload/download manager, again using #1. Drop and drag module, allowing size to be made
by dragging smaller/larger, and position. Allows storage of files to a logical specification.

4) Hit Counter w/different styles of text, size.

5) Visitor IP address variable

6) Poll, again dynamic... allowing IP address enable/disable to prevent users from voting twice.

7) Button styles.

8) FTP initiate file module. Could execute a remote FTP session with MS FTP, Gene6 FTP, etc. Again, storage of files to a logical location.

9) HTTP initiate file module. Again, same as 8 but more user friendly for users to upload/download files, view, etc.

10) Wait timer, forces a user to wait for a certain period of time before site will respond to anything

11) Document manager, based upon same features as #2 & #3 above. Would allow online editing, attaching files.

... that's all I can think of right now.

Thank you Custer...

Back