• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Migration and license questions

MarcoJ

New Pleskian
Dears,

as my used Debian 5 is now at the end of its lifecycle and a dist upgrade is needed, i plan to move my 5 year old server to a new hardware (for the same price at my hoster ;-) ).

Also i want to move from Debian to CentOS on the new server.

My plan is to install CentOS 6.2 on the new server with Plesk and then use the migration manager to move the data from the old server to the new one. Is there any concern of this (expecially of the distribution difference)?

Second, as i need some days to setup / test / configure the new server, how do i deal with Plesk? Can i use my license on both machines for around 2-3 weeks, or how can i manage this?

Thanks for your suggestions,
Marco

Dear Igor,

that's how i did it on the weekend, thanks!

For transferring my permanent license from the old server to the new one, i plan to do this like this:

- Today the key on the old server will be renewed
- After this, i'll get the license file from /etc/sw/keys/keys
- I'll upload this license to the new server
- The old server will be switched off end of this month.

Anything i need to do additionally? Will the next key update in a month then work flawless on the new server?

I suggest you perform migration from old server to new with trial licenses and when old servers will be disabled - install their licenses to new servers (you can ask your sales representative to re-send license files to you if you haven't it)

The migration was already done on saturday, but without license transfer (i did not want to risk the old server being disabled before the new one was running properly). And "just a license transfer" is not possible.

However, should i expect any problems with the way i've described? I can install my trial key from the new server on the old one right after i've installed the license key of the old one on the new server, so there will not be a parallel run for 2 weeks (which may trigger any "piracy alarm").

Back