• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Migration created a dud system user

QWeb Ric

Basic Pleskian
I'm not entirely sure what happened with this one, but while transferring one of our websites, the migrator failed early on resulting in an empty subscription. I removed this and tried the migration again - this time successfully but ending with the following warning:

Unable to restore the original username for the system user of the subscription ****.com: a system user named **** is already present on target panel. For this reason, the subscription owner will not be able to log in to FTP under the original username.
Notify the subscription owner of the new FTP username: sub_5506477932. The subscription owner can change this username on target panel.

Looking in the psa database and in /etc/passwd I can see that the original username was indeed created and its home address set as this website, so presumably the first migration attempt did this but removing the domain didn't in turn remove its user, so the second migration attempt had to create a different user. That's fine and logical, but I'm now struggling to find anywhere within Plesk to remove this previous account and I'm hesitant to do so via the usual Linux commands as Plesk then isn't going to know to remove from its own database?

Ideally I'd like to either remove the sub_5506477932 account and reassign the original to this domain, or remove the original and rename the sub_5506477932 account.

I did find this old KB article but it just says to rename the new user, and I can't do that because the original still exists: Migration throws the warning: A system user with the name username already exists on the destination server

Any help please?

Back