• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Migration path from PPA

SteveITS

Basic Pleskian
As I suspected since the split announcement, Odin is killing off PPA (Parallels Plesk Administration). However they are doing so with little warning, very little timing (as in, days), poor communication, and only a possibility of a migration path to Odin OAE which as I understand it would cost significantly more and forcibly include things like billing, which creates a problem for us and our existing billing system.

Is there any sort of migration path from PPA to Plesk Multi Server? Or even regular Plesk? It seems like Multi Server is targeted to operate much like PPA was, though things like centralized mail and DNS aren't available yet.

It is so unfortunate Plesk didn't keep PPA and do something with it (even a migration off of it), and Odin is just dumping those customers...

Hi Steve,

There is an option of automated migration from PPA to Plesk Multi Server (Linux only! Windows pert of PPA cannot go to Multi Server) and to Plesk standalone (either Linux or Windows). This way of migration is in tests and processed under Plesk Migration Team supervision. If you are interested, please submit request at https://www.plesk.com/professional-services/

That would be a great option. I saw on the roadmap Windows isn't supported yet, and we do have a few sites. Also centralized mail servers and shared DNS servers are still on the roadmap last I saw, so we'd have to wait for those also. Will definitely check back later, and look into the licensing in the meantime (we're using the "# of websites" license in PPA).

Are the centralized Mail Servers and shared DNS servers on the Plesk Multi Server already? If not when will it be released, been wanting to migrate PPA 11.5 to Plesk MultiServer. Thanks

Are the centralized Mail Servers and shared DNS servers on the Plesk Multi Server already? If not when will it be released, been wanting to migrate PPA 11.5 to Plesk MultiServer. Thanks
Cristtiah, beside of Multi Server Features in roadmap https://docs.plesk.com/en-US/onyx/m...delivering-plesk-multi-server-features.77464/ you are waiting for, Plesk Migration Team is now working to provide migration path from PPA 11.5 to Plesk Onyx and Plesk Multi Server. Please watch for updates here https://talk.plesk.com/threads/plesk-migrator-extension.336874/, it will be available soon.

Last edited:
I see Plesk developed a Slave DNS extension (Slave DNS Manager Plesk Extension). Could that be used in conjunction with Multi-Server? That would provide a path of:

- move mail accounts to the customer's VPS server instead of central mail servers
- have each customer's server set up to have our three "real" name servers as slaves
- handle Windows separately with Plesk Onyx (until supported in Multi-Server)

Are there any issues there that I am missing?

@SteveITS, it's possible to use Slave DNS manager extension in Multi Server, but it will require a lot of manual actions from admin side. Each service node should be configured manually. Also, there can be issues with enabled SELinux.

Well, our other option would be to arrange for an external DNS service and coordinate changing nameservers on the 20-30% or so of domains not registered through us, which was a giant hassle when we moved to PPA. We're used to disabling SELinux for PPA.

Hi Steve,

Two other options you mentioned:

> - move mail accounts to the customer's VPS server instead of central mail servers
If I understand it right, you wrote about having mail accounts for customer domains (subscriptions) on the same VPS where web-hosting for the domains will be running? If yes, this will work okay as for Plesk Single Server as well as for Plesk Multi Server.

> - handle Windows separately with Plesk Onyx (until supported in Multi-Server)
That is okay. Later these Windows Plesk Standalone nodes into Plesk Multi Server for Windows

Regarding the option to handle secondary DNS on three separate nodes for all subscriptions, we can provide you with a sample of steps to go through in order to enable such setup. For that, please open a ticket at Professional Services - Plesk 2.0 and refer to this forum thread in there.

Back