• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue Missing privilege separation directory: /var/run/sshd

Jasper

New Pleskian
I've got a VPS running Ubuntu 16.04 LTS with Plesk (Web Pro Edition) 17.8.11 Update #31, as provided by my host. After rebooting the system yesterday from within the web panel, I was unable to connect to the VPS using SSH. Connecting to the web panel resulted in an error 500, which was resolved by restarting the VPS once again. I then looked at the firewall settings, figuring they must have changed for some reason, but found that the SSH port was set to open.

Investigating the issue further, I managed to find the error listed in the title; "Missing privilege separation directory: /var/run/sshd". When looking in the /etc/init/ssh.conf file, it is set to create the directory and give the appropriate permissions. When looking in the /etc/init.d/ssh file, the check_privsep_dir() method clearly checks if the directory exists, and creates it if it doesn't.

I managed to "solve" the issue by adding the following cronjob:
@Reboot mkdir -p -m0755 /var/run/sshd && systemctl restart sshd.service

I don't find the solution particularly elegant, but it does the job for now... Could anyone tell me how this issue might happen, and how I could fix this without having additional cronjobs running?

Back