• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Monitoring of IIS Application Pools

Staniel

New Pleskian
Good Morning,

I have got a client who is running Plesk Obsidian on Windows Server 2016, with approx 30 sub-domains all running their own IIS App Pool, if the IIS Pool goes off-line it takes down the entire environment until we manually restart the app pool. I am looking for a monitoring solution for the IIS Pool on the server so we can a) monitor the status of each of the App Pools, and b) if possible automatically restart the App Pool if goes off line, and if not raise a support ticket via email to allow us to restart the pool manually.

Thanks

Stan

IIS Websites are normally configured to run in Application Pool for better security, availability and performance. This helps in isolating websites from each other even when they are being hosted on a common server and prevent the problems in one website from affecting the other.

Hello,

I know what an App Pool is and why they are used, if you actually read my question I would like to know if anyone has a solution for monitoring these App Pool and alerting me when they go offline.

Thanks

What does going offline mean exactly?

Just not processing requests anymore or going into the "stopped" state?
If it's the latter you may wanna check the Windows eventlog and see if this behavior is possibly triggered by the rapid fail protection of IIS.
In that case you could either increase the limit of number of failures required or disable it completely. (which has basically the same effect as automatically restarting the app pool whenever it goes down)

As far as more advanced monitoring and recovery options go, I've never digged into that matter any deeper.
For "important" websites we set up content checks via external tools and these will of course also flag a problem, if an AppPool goes down or unresponsive.

We have a Powershell script that checks if an Application pool goes offline, starts it en sends an email to admin.

To get you started, here is the core of the script:

Code:
$stoppedpools = Get-IISAppPool | Where-Object{$_.State -like "Stopped"} | ForEach-Object {$_.Name}

foreach ($apppool in $stoppedpools)
{

Start-WebAppPool $apppool;

}

We have a Powershell script that checks if an Application pool goes offline, starts it en sends an email to admin.

To get you started, here is the core of the script:

Code:
$stoppedpools = Get-IISAppPool | Where-Object{$_.State -like "Stopped"} | ForEach-Object {$_.Name}

foreach ($apppool in $stoppedpools)
{

Start-WebAppPool $apppool;

}
I have a similar issue where I have multiple sites on a Windows Server using Plesk at Go Daddy. Every couple of week I start getting calls that my websites are down and I end up logging on-line to recycle the application pool. At times it is not convenient for me to do that. Is there some method to either "debug" why this is happening or a way to recycle the pool remotely? Staniel, did this script work for you? If so, where is it placed in the index.asp file?

Back