• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Move setup and data to another Server

stefan-franz

Basic Pleskian
Hello, i have at the moment a Strato V-Server with Ubuntu 18.04
Unfortunately is a update to Ubuntu 20.04 not possible on virtual Servers. The only way is, to get an new V-Server with Ubuntu 20.04 and Plesk and move all data to the new server.

My question: I have a Nextcloud with about 700 GB data files running - is there anywhere a possibility or a tutorial, to move the Nextcloud complete to the new server? The Nextcloud has about 150 share links and many other settings - would be much work to reinstall the Nextcloud and configure new.

A full backup and restore of the Nextcloud and transfer directly from the old to the new server would be great.

I have no experience with Nextcloud. But in general you could setup a new server with Plesk, make a plesk-backup of the old server and restore the backup on your new server. If it contains over 700GB of data it might take while. But there's no need to reinstall the Nextcloud that way.

Also, if your not in a hurry you might want wait for the Plesk release that supports Ubuntu 22.04. Which should become available in a couple of months.

Sounds good. Do you mean the way over the Backup Manager?
My Server has full space of 1,5 TB - if i want to backup 700 GB over FTP may be to a HiDrive...is file per file directly sending over ftp or does the backup process makes first a zip file or else on my server?

Sounds good. Do you mean the way over the Backup Manager?
Yes.

My Server has full space of 1,5 TB - if i want to backup 700 GB over FTP may be to a HiDrive...is file per file directly sending over ftp or does the backup process makes first a zip file or else on my server?
The backup manager compresses backup files (not with zip, but another archive format) and saves it locally first before it gets stores to a remote location (if you have configured backsups te be stored remotely). So make sure you have plenty of free disk space available.

That would work as well. I also mitigates the issue of having to store a large backup somewhere. So it might be a faster methode. However if I am not mistaken the Plesk migrator only migrates hosting plans, customers/users and accounts (which include domains, mailboxes, databases, ect). While with a backup you can also restore (some) Plesk server settings.

Back