• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question MS SQL DB migration: Windows to Linux

Tech Support

New Pleskian
Hi All

I am migrating a website from an old Windows Plesk server to a new Linux Onyx Plesk server. The website has a MS SQL database hosted on an external MS SQL DB server. What is the best approach on getting that database to work on the new Linux server? I can provide more info (versions, etc) after a meeting I have. Currently, the best I have is to pay a developer to convert it to MySQL , but some argue that, that isn't even possible. Thanks.

This seems to be a question not related to Plesk, but more to a MySQL format issue. For many data field format types, a dump of the old database and an import into a MySQL database will work. There is not problem with simply testing it. Simply create an SQL dump from your MS SQL and import it into MySQL. If it does not work, the import will tell you exactly what needs to be converted.

I am not aware that there is a MS SQL version for Linux. I think all MS SQL servers require the MS Windows OS.

Ah, I see that the SQL Server 2017 Express has a version that can be installed on Linux. It is the latest MS SQL server and only this one has a Linux version. Interesting. Anyway, this would need to be installed outside and in addition to Plesk and their database. You simply need to choose a different port thhan the port of MySQL/MariaDB on Linux to run a second database server parallel to another one.

Back