• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Multiple emails to admin every minute

2danis2do

After upgrading I am receiving multiple emails sent to admin every minute. I mean we are talking about 40 emails every minute!

HELP!!!!

My server load has gone up massively too.

D

Looks like they are having the same problems in Germany:

http://serversupportforum.de/forum/...-mit-greylisting-funktioniert-nicht-mehr.html

Namely:

df -k

It's the permissions on the folders? (especially spool?)

Then this:

http://forum.qmailrocks.org/showthread.php?t=4918

Permissions change on /var/qmail/queue, now "trouble injecting bounce"

And finally this:

http://qmail.jms1.net/scripts/qfixq.shtml

Just seen a massive drop in my server load and the

/usr/local/psa/var/log/maillog

has stopped growing at such an alarming rate.

Hope this helps someone but after the 9.3 update will need to take some time to recover fully.

Here are a couple more threads that could also be useful:

http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=87343

and also last but not least:

http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=94593

Think I will have to go through these tomorrow as have been up till a silly hour trying to get my server load down.

D

After upgrading I am receiving multiple emails sent to admin every minute. I mean we are talking about 40 emails every minute!

We are having the same problem. As soon as we upgraded our Ubuntu 8.04 64-bit LTS we started noticing odd behavior in the mail log. You see the mail log here:

Code:
tail -f /usr/local/psa/var/log/maillog

In our case the problem was noticed by messages "from:p[email protected]" to "to:p[email protected]". Another nasty effect we have, that might be related, is:
Jan 18 10:06:59 cm qmail-queue-handlers[4753]: Unable to get 'From:' string from SMTP session

These will repeat endlessley and incoming mail is bouncing with no apparent reason (NDR but no reason!).

Your log might be busy so do:
Code:
tail -f /usr/local/psa/var/log/maillog | grep -i smtp

Thankfully Igor has informed the developers about the second problem and we're trying to log a paid for support call.

Ticket opened ID#855601 opened

Igor,

We have logged a ticket with ID above. Please assist, the situation is now desperate for us.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Igor,

We have logged a ticket with ID above. Please assist, the situation is now desperate for us.

Hope to hear from you soon.

I have checked this ticket and I see that there is replay to you from one of our support engineer. I'm not supporter, so, our support guys will help you in this ticket.

Can anyone help me to find out what the correct permissions are for the following:

/usr/local/psa/handlers/

currently set as follows although I am sure that this is not correct:

drwxrwxrwx 4 root root 80 Jan 18 17:58 before-local
drwxrwxrwx 3 root root 60 Jan 18 17:31 before-queue
drwxrwxrwx 2 root root 40 Dec 30 01:14 before-remote
drwxrwxrwx 2 root popuser 130 Jan 16 22:44 hooks
drwxrwxrwx 27 root root 540 Jan 18 17:58 info
drwxrwxrwx 2 alias popuser 100 Jan 18 17:52 spool

From my (somewhat broken, but email works) 9.2.2 Plesk :

-bash-3.2# cd /usr/local/psa/handlers
-bash-3.2# ls -lash
total 12K
4.0K drwxr-xr-x 8 root root 4.0K Dec 15 06:09 .
4.0K drwxr-xr-x 15 root psaadm 4.0K Jan 2 17:07 ..
0 drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 40 Apr 22 2009 before-local
0 drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 60 Jul 7 2009 before-queue
0 drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 60 Nov 8 17:59 before-remote
4.0K drwxr-x--- 2 root popuser 4.0K Sep 3 17:34 hooks
0 drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 80 Nov 20 20:40 info
0 drwxrwx--- 2 root popuser 60 Jan 18 18:12 spool
-bash-3.2#

Hope it helps,

Paul.

On my test Ubuntu Plesk:
root@ubuntu804:/# ls -la /usr/local/psa/handlers/
total 12
drwxr-xr-x 8 root root 4096 Jan 14 14:13 .
drwxr-xr-x 15 root root 4096 Jan 15 21:11 ..
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 40 Dec 30 09:30 before-local
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 40 Dec 30 09:30 before-queue
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 40 Dec 30 09:30 before-remote
drwxr-x--- 2 root popuser 4096 Jan 15 14:54 hooks
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 40 Dec 30 09:08 info
drwxrwx--- 2 alias popuser 80 Jan 19 14:35 spool

Multiple emails to admin

Thanks guys. I messed mine up trying to fix the email problem mentioned above. All seems ok now.

Thanks again.

D

Multiple virtuozzo servers with this issue

We have experienced this issue on multiple servers (all recently upgraded to 9.3.0). On the first one (happened yesterday morning), I switched the MTA to Postfix for the rest of the day. When I then encountered a non-related Postfix queue file write error (which has been around for some time) I switched the server back to qmail to ensure all emails would be delivered. The qmail problem has not returned since.

A second VPS just started experiencing this problem and I was forced to switch it to using Postfix MTA as well. Here's hoping for a resolution out of that stop-gap.

My question is, is postfix just smart enough to not accept entirely blank emails and they're still attempting to be sent by some other Plesk process, or did the switch actually solve the problem (perhaps by repairing permissions somewhere which may have instigated the issue)?

Mail headers look like:

Subject: [SPAM] 5.1 [SPAM] 9.0
Domainkey-Status: bad format
Domainkey-Status: bad format
X-Spam-Flag: YES
X-Spam-Checker-Version: SpamAssassin 3.2.5 (2008-06-10) on server.domain.com
X-Spam-Level: *****
X-Spam-Status: Yes, score=5.1 required=4.0 tests=BAYES_20,MISSING_DATE, MISSING_HB_SEP,MISSING_HEADERS,MISSING_MID,NO_RELAYS,SUBJ_ALL_CAPS autolearn=no version=3.2.5
X-Spam-Report: * *0.0 MISSING_MID Missing Message-Id: header * *0.0 MISSING_DATE Missing Date: header * -0.0 NO_RELAYS Informational: message was not relayed via SMTP * *2.1 SUBJ_ALL_CAPS Subject is all capitals * *2.5 MISSING_HB_SEP Missing blank line between message header and body * *1.3 MISSING_HEADERS Missing To: header * -0.7 BAYES_20 BODY: Bayesian spam probability is 5 to 20% * * * *[score: 0.0581]
Received: (qmail 28432 invoked by uid 110); 18 Jan 2010 06:58:28 -0400
Received: (qmail 28361 invoked by alias); 18 Jan 2010 06:58:28 -0400
Delivered-To: [email protected]
Delivered-To: [email protected]
X-Spam-Prev-Subject: (nonexistent)
X-Spam-Prev-Subject: [SPAM] 9.0

I experienced this problem too.

The problem is common with large Plesk installations upgrading from command line.

When upgrade Qmail or Postfix, my server with 600 domains and several thousands of emails accounts reports infinity number of warnings when doing mcheck...
It takes hours to upgrade and if unfortunatelly the terminal session close before it finish, you can reproduce exactly all these kind of errors, strange bounces, empty messages, rejected mails, large queues, etc.
The big problem is Plesk assumed you installed correctly the Qmail or Postfix.

Solutions:
Switch QMAIL to POSTFIX and then back to QMAIL. It repair all the mess with the server. If you are using Postfix, swith to QMAIL and then switch to POSTFIX but always do it from WEB or setup your terminal to never close the session....

Sorry for my bad english :-(

Horacio from Argentina

I updated yesterday from 9.2.3 to 9.3 and the mess starts. (Should have known that from the all previous updates where none were so far running smooth and error free as one would expect.)

I got about 80000 messages during the night hours - tried all solutions I could find here in the forum and in the web - could stop it in the morning (stopping smtp and deleting all queued messages) - looked not bad at that time - in the meantime qmail started again to send mass mail to the postmaster account which could not be delivered (?) In the meantime I again have about 20000 messages - number is growing ......

Need urgent help !!!

PS: I would roll back to 9.2.3 if I could !!!

You maybe need to get a Parallels support contract their support is now actually very good. They replied 15 times to the ticket that we logged about this and various upgrade issues. They were really pro-active. As for your technical problem you might be dealing with multiple problems so be careful.

1. Observe your log files first. Look for the actual error.
tail -f /usr/local/psa/var/log/maillog
If you see this:
"Unable to get 'From:' string from SMTP session"

Go here:
http://forum.parallels.com/showpost.php?p=400963&postcount=51

If you install this Hotfix on an Ubuntu server, make sure you do this:
# chown mhandlers-user:popuser /var/qmail/bin/qmail-queue
# chmod 2511 /var/qmail/bin/qmail-queue

If you don't you might end up with errors such as:
"Jan 21 15:07:30 cm qmail-queue-handlers[3427]: Unable to change group ID: Operation not permitted"

So let's start by looking at your logs and take it from there.

Really, there are correct owner and permissions according:

# stat /var/qmail/bin/qmail-queue
File: `/var/qmail/bin/qmail-queue'
Size: 68896 Blocks: 138 IO Block: 1024 regular file
Device: 2eh/46d Inode: 252895767 Links: 1
Access: (2511/-r-x--s--x) Uid: ( 30/mhandlers-user) Gid: ( 31/ popuser)

I have informed developers about "Unable to change group ID: Operation not permitted" errors.

HUGE Thanks to Igor. You know its amazing to see parallels monitoring the forums recently and actually being there to provide solutions for people. Major thanks to Igor for all he does. ( and everyone else ! )

HUGE Thanks to Igor. You know its amazing to see parallels monitoring the forums recently and actually being there to provide solutions for people. Major thanks to Igor for all he does. ( and everyone else ! )

Thank you very much for this kind words! I will be here and I will help you as I can :)

Last edited:
Hello guys,

absolute Noob Question:

I got the patch and I have Ubuntu 8.04 64Bit. But how do I actually apply the patch? I´m used to Debian, so I really do not know how to handle the file in the patch.

Thank you!

Peter

Hello guys,

absolute Noob Question:

I got the patch and I have Ubuntu 8.04 64Bit. But how do I actually apply the patch? I´m used to Debian, so I really do not know how to handle the file in the patch.

Thank you!

Peter

Did you tried apply patch as it is described here?

Back