• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question my.cnf in /root

AWSolutions

New Pleskian
Hey everyone,

So we keep a /root/.my.cnf on the servers so that our administrators can login pretty easily.

The latest version of plesk does not seem to like that with outupdates:

EMERGENCY: The file /root/.my.cnf contains a password for the MySQL console client. Please remove this file temporarily and restore it after the upgrade, otherwise the upgrade will fail

The suggested fix on forums is to simple move the file, or delete it and run the upgrade.

The problem is that these are automatic upgrades, which now have to become manual upgrades. So we're left between choosing to remove the /root/.my.cnf file permanently or doing automatic updates by hand.

I'm also a bit ashamed to say that we haven't adopted "plesk db" in our training of junior sys admins as we probably should. I suppose this is because we have startup scripts that setup "mysql" to login to mysql on all of our servers (plesk or not plesk).

I'm wondering two things:

1) what is the rational between forcing this? I'm guessing some people set a specific db user that wasn't admin here and it borked some things in the past,....but Why doesn't plesk update just pass the user admin and the contents of /etc/psa/.psa.shadow file when it runs the autoupdate? Why does it enforce that a user cannot use something so basic?

2) Is anyone using any kind of workarounds here? Or just using plesk db as mentioned above?

Back