• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

My experience with recent migration

rivimont

New Pleskian
Since its so hard to find any support-like info for Plesk, I thought I would share my recent experience with a migration here.

I was migrating from FC2 Plesk 8.1 to CentOS 5 Plesk 8.2.

I originally tried to migrate the entire server. The migration first zips up all of the data and then transfers it to the destination server. A lot of additional free space is needed for this. I quickly saw that my server was running out of space. The workaround was to just "migrate" one client at a time.

For the most part the migration went pretty smooth. It looks like the domain data is now stored in /var/www/vhosts/domain.com/ instead of /home/httpd/vhosts/domain.com/. This caused a number of scripts to stop working as I had to update this path.

Some other things I noticed:
- I had a few postgresSQL DBs which didn't migrate over properly. I manually dumped these and then imported them in on the destination server
to dump: pg_dump sitenav > DBNAME_dump
to import: psql -u DBNAME < DBNAME_dump
-Some applications installed via the "application vault" are listed under the application vault for a domain. However, the settings are no longer available here and theres no way to upgrade to the latest version of the app. So it appears (from a Plesk perspective) that I cannot upgrade these applications and I am left with the version that was installed on the original server.
- A few applications (ie. Mambo) are no longer listed as installed under the Application Vault however their DB is listed under databases. This DB is gray and I cannot delete it. I didn't really have any important instances of Mambo so this wasn't a big deal.

Does anyone know the expected behavior of apps installed via the app vault when upgrades to those apps are available.

Another recent thing I discovered during this migration is that none of the mailing lists (mailman) transferred over.

I ended up manually creating the list names and then copying over the data directories for the mailing lists from the old server to the new server.

Tips for migration needed

I'm migrating from Plesk 8.0 on FreeBSD 6.0 to Plesk 8.2.0 on FreeBSD 6.1 (new hardware).
Did you use plesk migration manager or other tool?
Please help me, thanks.

Davide D'Amico

Back