• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved mysql upgrade, cant access plesk

Stephan Griesel

Basic Pleskian
hi guys!

i have upgraded mysql on my server running plesk, since then i can't access the plesk console, any idea what might cause this? i am getting 403 forbidden error when trying to access the console.

here is the notification i received:
run-parts: /etc/cron.daily/50plesk-daily exited with return code 127

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply ufhh01. Tried to restart the Plesk services and i got the following:
/usr/lib/plesk-9.0/psa_service: No such file or directory

Hi Stephan Griesel,

quite unnormal, that the file "disappeared" on your server. I recommend to repair your system with the Plesk repair utility over the command line:

If you experience further issues, pls. provide as well informations about it and pls. review the logs again and pls. don't forget to mention your operating system and the current Plesk version ( incl. MU! ).

Last edited by a moderator:
i noticed with the mysql upgrade it was removing plesk folders but was not 100% sure. will the plesk repair tool still keep all my current configs and domains in place? just had a look in the /usb/lib folder and can see a plesk-9.0 folder there, inside are 2 files: composer.phar and sw-tar

Hi Stephan Griesel,

there should be far more files ( and as well folders ) inside the folder "/usr/lib/plesk-9.0".
The Plesk repair utility never deletes domains in your psa - database and it will never delete the depending vhosts - folder, but it will certainly CORRECT configuration files, if they are mis-configured, or even missing. ;)

Hi Stephan Griesel,

wow... you seemed to delete/uninstall quite more during your "upgrade"... pls. be more patient next time and actually LOOK at the command line, when performing commands.

Pls. try the command:

/usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/autoinstaller --select-release-current --reinstall-patch --install-component base

If you deleted as well the "autoinstaller", consider to download it with the help of the following KB - article:

yup i am not sure why it deleted the plesk folder myself, just did an upgrade of mysql. learned my lesson here. the /user/local/psa directory doesn't exist either. should i just download the installer and install with ./plesk-installer or is there any options i should add to the command?

Hi Stephan Griesel,

and pls. don't forget to mention your operating system and the current Plesk version ( incl. MU! ).
Is there a reason, why you don't provide this informations? Some commands vary, depending to your operating system and/or Plesk version... such informations can help to waste YOUR time and the time from people willing to help you! ;)

should i just download the installer and install with ./plesk-installer or is there any options i should add to the command?
Well, because I don't know, which folders/files you didn't delete, I can't recommend further commands... you first have to get Plesk installed, before further suggestions can be done. Pls. READ and follow the KB - article, as mentioned in #8 .

sorry about that... here is information as requested:
- Ubuntu 14.04.4
- Can't see the plesk version, PSA directory missing, but from folder structure it looks like it it version 9? Any other way I can confirm this?

yes i have followed the kb article in #8 already, just careful running any commands and end up losing the domains or something, rather safe than sorry :)

Hi Stephan Griesel,

and end up losing the domains or something,
No. A Plesk installation will never delete such things.

but from folder structure it looks like it it version 9?
Not at all. Only because you read "/usr/lib/plesk-9.0", doesn't point to the last current installed Plesk version. You could check for the Plesk version with the help of the file "/usr/local/psa/version" or "cat /root/.autoinstaller/microupdates.xml" ( normally ), but I have no idea, what you deleted on your system lately.

... while you wait for the installation to complete, consider to watch out for the folder "/var/lib/psa/dumps" and check if you probably got some latest backups there ... just in case you might need them for a restore. Consider as well to READ the Plesk related log - files, located at "/var/log/plesk", to inform yourself about installation, etc.

To be informed, on Debian/Ubuntu based systems, the link "/usr/local/psa/" is only a symlink, which points to "/opt/psa".

Last edited by a moderator:
thank you for clarifying, your help really appreciated :)

i am running the installer now, on page where it shows plesk 12.5.30 currently installed, should i just proceed with installation anyway?

Hi Stephan Griesel,

on page where it shows plesk 12.5.30 currently installed
well... at least you recognize now, that you definetly don't have version 9 installed, before you messed it up. :p

should i just proceed with installation anyway?
Sorry to ask you, but your question is a bit irritating o_O ... how else would you proceed to re-install your broken Plesk installation?
As I answered before, I don't know, what you deleted lately and you have to have a complete Plesk installation. - a part from that, the next step, after proceeding, will be the component choice... pls. choose ALL possible components here ( you might delete components later over the Plesk Control Panel, if you don't need them, or don't want them ).

as mentioned i am just careful before breaking any more stuff :)

plesk reinstalled but can't get into the console now, using my previous login details (before i messed it up) but can't get in. any other way to reset the admin password?

Hi Stephan Griesel,

but can't get into the console now
... with your statement, do you mean the Plesk Control Panel ( with your browser ), or do you mean that you can't use a ssh - client with your root credentials?

Now that the Plesk installation completed, pls. consider to use the repair utility, to be sure, that all is fine.

Investigations what might be "wrong" start with viewing the log - files, so before you do further steps, pls. always investigate your log - files!

Pls. check as well, that all Plesk services are running ... and depending services as well ( MySQL, etc. ).

yes the plesk control panel :)

running /etc/init.d/psa status returns 'is running'. /etc/init.d/mysql status also shows mysql running.

also ran the repair tool, all successful but still can't login on the plesk control panel, does not recognize the password. i followed this KB (https://kb.plesk.com/en/346), after resetting password i still can't get in :(

If you installed PLESK 12.5.x over an old 9 PLESk, then you have a small chance to work something. If wasn't a real upgrade, the DB is not the same and a lot of things not the same. Try to run the reapir tool as it was mentioned before and hope this help.

If you installed PLESK 12.5.x over an old 9 PLESk, then you have a small chance to work something. If wasn't a real upgrade, the DB is not the same and a lot of things not the same. Try to run the reapir tool as it was mentioned before and hope this help.

this was already resolved, thank you! :)

Back