• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

MySQL upgrade

OMG, even the rebuild of MYSQL fom the mysql.com rpm's did not fix it. Man this is really disturbing, DBI doesn't want to work no matter what I try. :(

Well, I've searched through days worth of MySQL tech notes, search every post on this forum, I can't find anything else to try. I have recompiled perl-DBI, Apache, perl-DBD-MySQL, perl-DBD-Pg and even MySQL, restarted the box, and I still get the DBI errors. MYSQL and everything is up and working just fine, but DBI will not find the sock file. Very dissappointing.

Ok this gets weirder, I found that I can run perl DBI test files from withing the vhosts folders but I cannot connect through DBI when I run a perl script from /usr/sbin ? Anyone have any clues?

Well, I am starting to think that something during these upgrades has altered my root environment, which is causing my scripts when run as root to not be able to make use of PERLS DBI or the MYSQL socket or both?

As for:
could be a problem related to old password hashing method?/QUOTE]

Each one of these passwords I managed to track back to domains which were disabled in PLESK, so I am assuming that PLESK somehow alters the database user passwords to ensure that they cannot be used during a domain suspension.

After testing this theory, I am now possitive that the MySQL password error log entries are caused by PLESK altering the passwords when domains are suspended and therefore these errors can be safely ignored.

After MySQL upgrading I look for /etc/rc.d/init.d

I found file mysql instead mysqld.

I make symlink:

#cd /etc/rc.d/init.d
# ln -s mysql mysqld

Then I check where placed my socket file. And make appropriate symlink to it.

Then I check where placed my socket file. And make appropriate symlink to it.

And where are all the appropriate symlink to it? Could you list them?

In my case socket file and bases are in non-standard place. It causes free space problems.

1-st Check Your file /etc/my.cnf for socket file placement.
2-nd You can search for file mysql*.sock
3-rd If some mysql depended service can not find socket file, see error message for path. Or see logs of Your system.

Thank you, I know where my socket is located, I was just wondering where to put the symlinks?

MySQL 4.1 Upgrade for Plesk

Hello there,

After seeing so much of chaos building around MySQL 4.1.xx and Plesk, There is a ray of hope for you.

If you find it difficult to upgrade to MySQL 4.1.xx you can contact me and I can have it done for you for a small fee :)

If you are running osCommerce, then you have real problem, since osCommerce yet doesnt support 4.1.xx.

But in any case, we might be able to help you.

You can visit us on http://www.enterux.com
or email on info at enterux.com

I am leasing a virtual dedicated server that uses Plesk 7.5 Reloaded on it, but the MySQL that was installed on it was just version 3.23.58. (All my websites were using a MySQL version of 4.0.24 and the databases did not work correctly when I tried importing them onto the vdedicated server).

After updating was completed:
1. Download the server, client, and "Dynamic client libraries
(including 3.23.x libraries)" rpms.
2. rpm -Uvh --nodeps MySQL-server-4.0.16-0.i386.rpm
3. rpm -Uvh MySQL-shared-compat-4.0.16-0.i386.rpm
4. rpm -Uvh MySQL-client-4.0.16-0.i386.rpm

I now have no plesk control panel! MySQL is running, as the databases can be "seen" but no interactive commands work, which was the same as under the old version.

I can still SSH and FTP in, but no plesk control panel.

Should I try upgrading to Plesk 7.5.3 or am I missing something simple here?

Re: MySQL 4.1 Upgrade for Plesk

Originally posted by enterux

If you find it difficult to upgrade to MySQL 4.1.xx you can contact me and I can have it done for you for a small fee :)

You can visit us on http://www.enterux.com
or email on info at enterux.com

:cool: What kind of fees are we talking about? I just uploaded the install files for 7.5.3 on my server, as well as the 3 MySQL rpm files, so I think that part is all set.

After install of MySQL 4+ you need to alter your /etc/my.cnf

It is in my opionion that the new password hashing format in MySQL4+ breaks many currently use application, we have choose to add the following line to my.cnf

old_passwords=1

This will tell MySQL to use the older password hashes to allow all existing application to comminicate with MySQL 4.+ in the same mannor previously used. This will resolve all issues regarding broken communications.

I will post our fill my.cnf for your reference:

[mysqld]
datadir=/var/lib/mysql
socket=/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock
skip-locking
skip-innodb
query_cache_limit=1M
query_cache_size=32M
query_cache_type=1
max_connections=500
interactive_timeout=100
wait_timeout=100
connect_timeout=10
thread_cache_size=80
key_buffer=150M
table_cache=512
sort_buffer_size=1M
read_buffer_size=1M
read_rnd_buffer_size=768K
join_buffer=1M
max_allowed_packet=16M
record_buffer=1M
max_connect_errors=10
skip-show-database
myisam_sort_buffer_size=64M
log-bin
server-id=1
old_passwords=1

[mysql.server]
user=mysql
basedir=/var/lib

[safe_mysqld]
err-log=/var/log/mysqld.log
pid-file=/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid
open_files_limit=8192

[mysqldump]
quick
max_allowed_packet=16M

[mysql]
no-auto-rehash
#safe-updates

[isamchk]
key_buffer=64M
sort_buffer=64M
read_buffer=16M
write_buffer=16M

[myisamchk]
key_buffer=64M
sort_buffer=64M
read_buffer=16M
write_buffer=16M

[mysqlhotcopy]
interactive-timeout

Hope this helps, also make sure that you do a
# service mysqld restart
after you install the new rpms

I stongely urge you all to use ART's MySQL rmp's for PLESK 7.5.3 They work perfectly.

Additionally, you might have to actually reboot the server, becuase some stagnat mysql process might not end and this can cause problems for Mysql restart.

Also you could try
#ps -ef | grep mysqld

and kill all mysql processes found.

Thanks for the responses...

my my.cnf file is puny and has none of what you have. Here's the dump:

[mysqld]
innodb_data_file_path=ibdata1:10M:autoextend
datadir=/var/lib/mysql
socket=/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock

[mysql.server]
user=mysql
basedir=/var/lib

[safe_mysqld]
err-log=/var/log/mysqld.log
pid-file=/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid

--------------

I tried adding in:
old_passwords=1

and rebooted the server, and MySQL would not even start.

050804 20:45:28 mysqld started
050804 20:45:28 Warning: Asked for 196608 thread stack, but got 126976
050804 20:45:28 InnoDB: Database was not shut down normally.
InnoDB: Starting recovery from log files...
InnoDB: Starting log scan based on checkpoint at
InnoDB: log sequence number 0 1454622
InnoDB: Doing recovery: scanned up to log sequence number 0 1454622
050804 20:45:28 InnoDB: Flushing modified pages from the buffer pool...
050804 20:45:28 InnoDB: Started
/usr/sbin/mysqld: ready for connections.
Version: '4.0.25-standard' socket: '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' port: 3306 Official MySQL RPM
050804 21:55:05 /usr/sbin/mysqld: Normal shutdown

050804 21:55:05 InnoDB: Starting shutdown...
050804 21:55:08 InnoDB: Shutdown completed
050804 21:55:08 /usr/sbin/mysqld: Shutdown Complete

050804 21:55:08 mysqld ended

050804 21:55:35 mysqld started
050804 21:55:35 Warning: Asked for 196608 thread stack, but got 126976
050804 21:55:35 InnoDB: Started
"mysqld.log" 78L, 2998C 1,1 Top

I am only assuming that you require the innodb for something? Otherwise try adding skip-innodb to the [mysqld] section.

Warning: Asked for 196608 thread stack, but got 126976
According to the mysql forums, this error is harmless and to be ignored.

http://forums.mysql.com/read.php?11,31039,31039#msg-31039

Did you follow the post upgrade instructions from the mysql site:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/upgrading-from-3-23.html

In particular:

After upgrading, update the grant tables to add new privileges and features. The procedure uses the mysql_fix_privilege_tables script and is described in Section 2.10.7, Upgrading the Grant Tables.
and
#

Convert your old ISAM files to MyISAM files. One way to do this is with the mysql_convert_table_format script. (This is a Perl script; it requires that DBI be installed.) To convert the tables in a given database, use this command:

shell> mysql_convert_table_format database db_name

Note that this should be used only if all tables in the given database are ISAM or MyISAM tables. To avoid converting tables of other types to MyISAM, you can explicitly list the names of your ISAM tables after the database name on the command line.

Individual tables can be changed to MyISAM by using the following ALTER TABLE statement for each table to be converted:

mysql> ALTER TABLE tbl_name TYPE=MyISAM;

If you are not sure of the table type for a given table, use this statement:

mysql> SHOW TABLE STATUS LIKE 'tbl_name';
and
Ensure that you don't have any MySQL clients that use shared libraries (like the Perl DBD::mysql module). If you do, you should recompile them, because the data structures used in libmysqlclient.so have changed. The same applies to other MySQL interfaces as well, such as the Python MySQLdb module.
Not all of these may apply to your server, but should be considered and applied if needed.

Thanks for all the help. MySQL got upgraded fine and it works...sort of.

Now when I try to log in via plesk DB WebAdmin I get the following error:

#1045 - Access denied for user: 'pma_9nJUBFaP1e3I@localhost' (Using password: YES)

There's also a notice stating "phpMyAdmin tried to connect to the MySQL server, and the server rejected the connection. You should check the host, username and password in config.inc.php and make sure that they correspond to the information given by the administrator of the MySQL server."

but the config.inc.php looks okay and all of the passwords are the same as the others.

I tried creating the table and flushing but no good...

Back