• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

MySQLd permantently in "top"

M

manarak

The MySQLd (version 4) process on my server seems to be permanent, as it is always shown in "top". It consumes 270MB RAM and up to 10% CPU (nothing when there is no load). It seems to run permanently, as it has an uptime as long as the server's uptime.

I think I didn't notice this on my previous server whch was running MySQL version 3.
Has someone else noticed this behavior of MySQLd? Is it normal?

I would imagine that if you host sites with much database usage, it may be normal. Sites with busy forums or busy online stores can often have medium to high mysql usage at all times. I don't know if this may apply to your server.

Well, the process runs even when there are no clients connected.

Yes, of course the process will be in memory, it is the daemonized version of mysql. You say it uses no CPU when there is no load, which would be normal for no usage. My earlier post was referring to the 10%.

I guess I didn't understand your original concern when I read your post earlier.

So the appropriate response would have been - mysqld is the daemon process of mysql which would normally be a full time running process. There are mysql server parameters which can be tuned, please see the following (mysql 4.1 documentation) link:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/4.1/en/server-parameters.html

You may want to check your current parameter values concerning buffers and cache settings if you are worried about it taking 270MB of ram. Hope this helps!

How do you determine which site is using up all the MySQL resources?

Back