• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue Mysterius trouble with one domain and www.

Joachim_Weisse

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
Ubuntu 20.04.6 LTS
Plesk version and microupdate number
Plesk Obsidian 18.0.54 Update #3
Hello,
I hope anybody can help.

Domain: https://www.zetorworld.com (with error) or https://zetorworld.com (runs without error)

I have set a new Domain via Plesk Obsidian: "domain.com"
I set: without www. as default
I install a Let's Encrypt Cert for domain.com and *.domain.com and activate all possible SSL features.
I install my site
I can view my site when I type "domain.com" in any browser - Fine, OK.

But I can't open my site when I type "www.domain.com" in any Browser instead the non-www version - Fails with the follow error:
  • in Chrome eg: (latest Chrome for Win10, latest Chrome for Android):
    1692877269175.png
  • an in Firefox it brings this one:
    1692877449821.png
But (!) only the www.domain.com is affekted from this error - the non www. (domain.com) runs absolut normal.

I tryed ALL instructions from here:

I tryed to find problems with plesk repair (finds nothing, all fine)
I tryed to clean remove the Cert and try a new one fresh.

Nothing solmed my problem.

So if you guys have a idea - what I can do now, please let me know it.
If not, the only chance I see is to made a backup, remove my domain, set the domain new and restore then a partial backup in the hope to fix my error.

Greetings :)

Hi,

The behavior you describe happens when you request an SSL certificate without the "www." prefix.
Please reissue a new SSL certificate, but include the "www." prefix.

Ok, but why can this happen?
And how I can look in Plesk or via SSH to check and/or (in best case) solve this?

Plesk repair doesn't find an error in DNS config or file system config for this domain...

My plan B will be (if the problem is on Plesk site): fresh Backup, then remove the complete domainspace, set it new and hope this time it worls better.
I have around 10 domains used on my server, hosted at strato and domainspace created over plesk - all works, this one ... is the bad boy in my pocket. ;-)

I can do a test - create a sub domain test.zetorworld.com and will see its working or not. I dont think its a general problem with my server, I think there is going a little bit wrong with this one domainspace created by plesk.

Solving your issue should be a simple as deleting the AAAA (IPv6) DNS record for the WWW host of this domain.

You've posted a screenshot of the DNS zone from Plesk. But is the DNS zone for this domain actually managed trough Plesk? Because it looks like the DNS zone is managed externally.

It manged by Strato - but in the DNS settings by Strato is no AAAA-record set:
1692959251880.png 1692959328396.png
This looks at all my domains the same - but only this one will not work with www.

All domains at my server:
1692959724718.png
all domains hosted by Strato, and all worked from skratch as it should be with and without www.

Example:
also my domain: zetor-forum.de (worlks with and without www. and both use the same shared IP address)
DNS settings:
1692959437457.png 1692959457222.png
DNS settings for this domain in Plesk:
1692959557182.png

looks for me pretty much the same for both domains.

I can set for a test the IPv6 at Strato to the one I see for use over Plesk for zetorworld.com - but this will be then the first domain who I set this. I try it.

Only this CNAME record is at zetorworld to see, but in no other domain from me. In plesk I cant remove it, after a Time, its back here again.
At Strato I cant find such a CNAME record... there are only TXT records for SSL (acme...) and mail (DKIM eg) but no CNAME.
The CNAME records I only see at Plesk.

OK, the wrong IPs are Strato default IPs, that is truely wrong. Only, at the moment I doesn't see the reason why.
You've already (perhaps unwittingly) answered your own initial question(s) nonw and have actively taken note of the helpful post above by @Kaspar
It's a simple (Non-Plesk) misconfiguration, nothing more serious than that. You should, with patience (!) be able to correct this quite easily, but... Your own server's DNS config - including its true control location & possibly your own access levels at Strato, will determine the speed & ease of re-configuration.

I think that will be at this point the best - I call Strato support, while I haven't access to the missconfigured AAAA record from customer side.
Thanks for the help, that takes me an the right way (i hope so).

Back