• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Nameservers on two dedicated servers

markcarsonboxz

New Pleskian
I have two dedicated servers provided by 1&1 Internet. One of the servers is running Plesk 10.3.1 and the other; Plesk 11.0.9. I have a question about nameservers:

I own one domain, mydomain.com with a website on serv01.mydomain.com. Two nameservers; ns1.mydomain.com and ns2.mydomain.com are on serv01.mydomain.com.
My second server, serv02.mydomain.com, the A record for this is on serv01.mydomain.com.

I would like to create ns3.mydomain.com and ns4.mydomain.com on serv02.mydomain.com. I have several spare ip addresses.

How best can I achieve this?

You must first enter them in your admin panel, where "mydomain.com" is, then you have to add them to the child nameservers (at least i have to do it like that - also do reverse DNS), and after you did that, put them in DNS zone on your second server and each domain you add later will be automatically configured with his DNS entries.

In plesk (after you finished first steps), go to Tools & Settings -> DNS Zone Template, remove record "NS" - i guess it has no value, then Click on "Add DNS Record, select type "NS" and:
Domain name - leave it blank
Name server * - enter here ns3.mydomain.com

Do same to add ns4.mydomain.com.

At the end your DNS zone template should look like this:
<domain>. NS ns3.mydomain.com.
<domain>. NS ns4.mydomain.com.
<domain>. A <ip>
etc
Note: First steps where you add new IPs and Nameservers in the panel might take few hours before the effect (they become active).

Last edited:
Back