• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue DNS Issue or i think so. [Why are nameservers ordered randomly?]

Jokers

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
Almalinux 8.8 and Ubuntu 20.04
Plesk version and microupdate number
Version 18.0.56 #2
Hello everyone,

I will explain:

I’ve found a bug with DNS Server (bind9) I’ve take images which I can share.

Let me explain, I’ve set my custom Tools & Settings > DNS Settings > I’ve modify the DNS as I want them to be. All good here till I set NS records.

I set for example

• Ns1.test.gr
  • Ns2.test.gr
  • Ns3.test.gr
  • Ns4.testgr

That is the order I set them.

When I go to add a new domain > when I set this order, the order at DNS records goes at this row:

• Ns4.test.gr
  • Ns3.test.gr
  • Ns2.test.gr
  • Ns1.test.gr
So SOA records sets as primary my ns4.test.gr

BUT

When you press reset to default, it sets it correct as I’ve set them at Tools & Settings > DNS Settings. And SOA record primary ns1.test.gr

When you press apply DNS template, NS records randomly are set.

Thank you.

AFTER reset to defaullt: works OK

Screenshot_121.jpg

WHEN addding DOMAIN:

Screenshot_120.jpg

Hi!

[...] So SOA records sets as primary my ns4.test.gr [...] And SOA record primary ns1.test.gr [...]

Correct me if I am wrong, is the main issue here that you want but can't set the primary NS for the domain? NS records can't be sorted in Plesk per each record, that is true; but if you want mark one of the NS records as a record for primary NS server, it is possible to configure in two ways:
  • for zone template (Tools & Settings > DNS Settings > Zone Settings Template > Primary Name Server),
  • for any already created zone (Websites & Domains > [domain] > Hosting & DNS > DNS > Settings > Primary Name Server).

Hello, thank you for replying.

Of course i know you can select SOA record primary ns1.test.gr. I do select ns1.test.gr but it puts ns4.test.gr.

The main issue is the ordering when creating new domain. It sets them randomly. When you press reset to default, it sets them as i've set to the Tools & settings > DNS settings.

OR if i press Apply DNS template, even if i've not change anything it sets them randomly, sometimes it sets the ns3.test.gr as primary DNS.

I've try it 3 times actually, with 2 different OS and always does the same. (I did format to my dedicated server 3 times) not that matters. Just cause i added more space.

I forgot to mention i'm using Route 53, but i had disable it, change all DNS and still got the same issue.

The order of DNS should be as my DNS settings, that is the logic, and not to set whatever it wants, am i right?

AWS:

Screenshot_190.jpg

Plesk > DNS settings > SOA >

Screenshot_191.jpg

I added more details to help, the domain i added starts with ag and the dns of my server starts with ns1.th

Of course i know you can select SOA record primary ns1.test.gr. I do select ns1.test.gr but it puts ns4.test.gr.

I see. Could you please say how have you checked what NS is primary? If you checked it based on the order inside "Plesk UI / DNS Settings", it is not correct method.

The right method is to ask a DNS server for a SOA record, the SOA will contain a primary NS inside the record. E.g.,
Code:
% host -t ns test.gr     
test.gr name server dns1.papaki.gr.
test.gr name server dns2.papaki.gr.

% host -t soa test.gr
test.gr has SOA record dns1.papaki.gr. support.papaki.gr. 2018052409 10800 3600 1209600 3600
                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ - primary NS

It means test.gr has two name servers and "dns1.*" is primary.

Hello,

I will check it later today as you mentioned I will print screen the results.

Still since via UI, I have set primary ns1.test.gr e.g. shouldn't it follow what I have set?

Isn't that issue?

Thank you.

Still since via UI, I have set primary ns1.test.gr e.g. shouldn't it follow what I have set?

Sorry, if my last answer confuse you, let me reword it.

If you set one of NSes as a primary in "DNS Settings / Primary Name Server", it become a primary in DNS Server and will be shown inside SOA record, there is no issue.

If you open DNS zone with all DNS records, the records are shown randomly, from exactly that list, it is not possible to change the order.

That ok to be showing randomly, but I have set ns1.test.gr as primary at SOA records and it sets the ns4.test.gr.

I change the DNS order for example

Now it's

Ns1.test.gr
Ns2.test.gr
Ns3.test.gr
Ns4.test.gr

If I change to :

Ns4.test.gr
Ns3.test.gr
Ns2.test.gr
Ns1.test.gr

(This is the order I add to tool settings > dns)

When you add domain now it sets correctly the ns1 records and SOA PRIMARY ns1.test.gr

BUT when you click at domain > DNS > reset to default.

It changes again the SOA record and it sets ns4.test.gr as primary.

Even if I have set at tools > DNS template> SOA.

Ns1.test.gr as primary

Also sets the order randomly again.

Hello again,

New domain, new Print screens:
host command from server

Screenshot_193.jpg

Dns settings from domain > dns
Screenshot_194.jpg

SOA of the domain name:

Screenshot_195.jpg

Till here everything looks OK, check this out:

Screenshot_196.jpg

IF i do reset to default ALL will be ok.

and when i reset to default the order changes, for example now it's ns4,ns3,ns2,ns1, it will go first ns1,ns2,ns3,ns4. After that SOA will be ok.

I think there is an issue...

Back