• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Need advice on general migration plan

S

Spazholio@

Ok, so we have to move from one server to another. This is not all that uncommon in the webhosting biz, really. However, I could use some pointers on general direction. Here's my thought process, and feel free to enlighten me where I go astray:

- change the TTL on the server (and all domains if possible) to something really low so that DNS propagation doesn't take forever

- migrate all the domains using Plesk's extra-special-neato-whiz-bang-Migration-Manager

- make the new server the primary DNS server for the recently-moved domains

- shut off all email services on the old server, so that email will be forced to go to the new server

I'm trying to minimize out-of-sync info across the servers for things like forums, gallery posts, etc, where someone may post to the site, but it happens before DNS propagation switches to the new server, and the postings reside on the old domain, and don't make it to the brand new server.

Ideally, I'd like this to be as transparent as possible for the end-users, and so far, this is the only way I can think to do it. If anyone can chime in with a better process flow, I'm all ears. Thanks.

Back