• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

need separate name scopes for database and users

A

AbsolutelyFreeW

Right now, it seems I cannot make ftp user names like:

subuser.domain-x.com

the field is too short, and since they use the same scope, if domain-x makes "subuser", domain-y can't use the name "subuser" anymore eventhough they are on different domains.

1. increase length to a lot more

2. More than the length, I need to enforce the suffix ".domain-x.com"

3. another problem is the databases that need prefixes with username enforced.

FTP user names (I'm assuming you're talking about the FP/FTP user under the "Setup" icon) are created in the Windows account database so they're limited by Windows rather than Plesk. This is also the reason for name uniqueness.

Web users are created in the same way and have the same restrictions for name length and uniqueness.

I'm fully aware of that it is that way, but I see no reason for a domain owned by one person to affect a completely different domain owned by someone else. I think this is a design error by Plesk. To use windows users, connected to a host for domain dependent system, and that is what I am telling. there should be a major update completely redesigning the user system. You could perhaps use AD or you could make your own database, whatever you do you should give it cconsiderable thought. The whole client/domain user/web user/ ftp user system seems too confusing and not the way at least shared hostings would like to setup accounts. End users should be able to set up multiple domains, and they should be restricted on resources they can use, like web applications, script languages, databases etc..

One other thing is, not everyone's need is the same, why there should be a way to modify plesk for own use. e.g. we need database prefixing, but plesk code is encrypted...

Back