• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Need to ERASE chrooted bind from Plesk 11

hariskhan

Basic Pleskian
Hello all,

I have plesk 11 installed on CentOS 6.3 (64-bit). Updated to the latest update.

We have our own DNS implementation based on Power DNS+MySQL. We do not utilize bind or Plesk's implementation of bind.

In this specific instance, its causing problem with CDP/Idera (previously R1soft) backups for our Plesk 11 PRODCUTION boxes. We need to either disable chrooted implementation of bind or remove it entirely.

How do we go about it.

Please advise.

Hello,

The problem occurs because the chrooted implementation of bind from plesk envolves cyclical symlink references. They are as following;

/etc/named 16G 2.0G 13G 14% /var/named/chroot/etc/named
/var/named 16G 815M 15G 6% /var/named/chroot/var/named
/etc/named.rfc1912.zones
16G 2.0G 13G 14% /var/named/chroot/etc/named.rfc1912.zones
/etc/rndc.key 16G 2.0G 13G 14% /var/named/chroot/etc/rndc.key
/usr/lib64/bind 16G 2.0G 13G 14% /var/named/chroot/usr/lib64/bind
/etc/named.iscdlv.key
16G 2.0G 13G 14% /var/named/chroot/etc/named.iscdlv.key
/etc/named.root.key 16G 2.0G 13G 14% /var/named/chroot/etc/named.root.key

I need to get rid of these cyclical symlinks in order to restore CDP/Idera backup functionality.

Hello,

*bump*

Guys, any solution from Plesk on this ? or will I have to manually remove chrooted implementation of bind for this.

Removing bind is not a good idea.

Regarding the looping stuff, I seem to remember reading that Bind is installed in slightly weird/different way in RH/Centos 6 (nothing to do with Plesk). Something about mounting some directory or other strangely.

I had exactly the same issue if I remember correctly. However, it was resolved in some update of Bind, or something?
I'm sorry -- I really don't remember the details. Interestingly, it came to light when I had problems backing up.
But I emphasise that it wasn't a Plesk-related issue (in my case at least). It was just the way Bind was installed or configured by default at the time that I installed it.

I assume this is not a VPS as you'd be unlikely to use CDP on the VPS itself.

I'm sorry not to be helpful regarding this issue. Maybe a post on the Centos forum would be an idea? There is a post about a looping file system there already (from a google search) and a suggestion as to how to fix it. But I don't know if the suggestion given was a good one, or whether it will solve the issue. Anyway, search for "centos bind loop mount" or something like that.

Hello,

@Faris Raouf: I don't have bind-chroot rpm/package installed.

CentOS community tells me these mounted links won't be there without installation of bind-chroot rpm/package. So its not the OS.

Also, from going through other threads on the forum and through google search, I note that these are implemented by Plesk, not the OS.

Last edited:
I don't necessarily need to erase bind from this box.

I just want to get rid of the above mentioned mount points. If they are gone, my CDP/Idera backups will start functioning without needing any other modification to the box.

Back