• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

new advertisment in 10.1.1 :(

L

lhwparis

damn parallels why you included all this new advertisment in 10.1???
cant understand. plesk is not free software we pay for this and we see advertisment on so much places.
where can i deactivate this things??? no button in "interface management"
everytime people in this forum cry about advertisment in plesk you say "we will provide options to hide" thats ok but with every release more and more advertisment is shown... damn!

Attachments

• advert1.jpg
    advert1.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 118
  • advert2.jpg
    advert2.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 99
And a new "advertising" bar in SMB Panel:( ok its not "real" advertising but i dont want to show it my customers! where can i disable it??

Attachments

• advert3.jpg
    advert3.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 77
Could you tell a little more on what's so bad in this "what's new" banner in SMB panel? From our point of view they shouldn't harm anyone in terms of support calls or profit lost... it is not an attempt to sell or something like that. Just a suggestion how to discover new feature(s).

Many of those suggestion were available as a simpler looking notification even in 10.0, so mainly it is just better look for the same content. And they all have "hide" option.

I can find out how to force them not shown, but I have hard time understanding why they aren't welcome.

Regards

Last edited:
what about the first 2 screenshots? is this no "advertisment" in your eyes? in a product i payed for:( you have your plesk store!! bundle all that things in your plesk store and provide ONE button to this store but dont show advertisment on every control panel page :(

SMB box: ok thats true its not realy advertisment but some customers are technically "low level" they dont understand what "Staging Websites" isand i dont want to discuss it with this kind of customers;) many links go to sitebuilder! i have sitebuilder set to "0" for this subscriptions! links are still there. we talked about such things in control visabilliity thread...
want to disable sitebuilder complety but i think i am not able to do that described here.

if you provide such a box: 1. let admins "disable it". let us decide what to show in this boxes. 3. give users possibility to hide this box with one click forever! not each item...

Last edited by a moderator:
what about the first 2 screenshots? is this no "advertisment" in your eyes? in a product i payed for:( if you think bundle all that things in your plesk store and provide ONE button to this store but dont show advertisment on every control panel page :(

Well, I was just asking specifically about 3rd screenshot. I can understand maybe what you don't like with 2nd one.

1st one just explains how you can obtain HelpDesk capability in Plesk. It is offered via free 3rd party (not an attempt to sell anything). We offer multiple 3rd parties installed through our installer (Horde IMP, Atmail, Webalizer, AWstats, etc) - this is just old way. But nowadays we ship many applications in APS. So we expose a suggestion how you could install additional module. Maybe I miss something, but I don't see what's wrong with attempt to offer better feature discovery.

SMB box: ok thats true its not realy advertisment but some customers are technically "low level" they dont understand what "Staging Websites" are and i dont want to discuss it with this customers;) many links go to sitebuilder! i have sitebuilder set to "0" for this subscriptions! links are still there. we talked about such things in control visabilliity thread...
if you provide such a box: 1. let admins "disable it". let us decide what to show in this boxes. 3. give users possibility to hide this box with one click forever! not each item...

Ok, this one is understood. Well explained. Thanks

1st one just explains how you can obtain HelpDesk capability in Plesk. It is offered via free 3rd party (not an attempt to sell anything). We offer multiple 3rd parties installed through our installer (Horde IMP, Atmail, Webalizer, AWstats, etc) - this is just old way. But nowadays we ship many applications in APS. So we expose a suggestion how you could install additional module. Maybe I miss something, but I don't see what's wrong with attempt to offer better feature discovery.

maybe we have different oppinions about that;) i my eyes Plesk is a control panel! it should be "easy and fast to use", "help an admin to do his daily work", "provide a simple and clean UI" and so on. i like that i can install third party applications via APS and the Plesk10 Store thats not the problem. But if i search additional software i go to the Store and look after a software providing this missing features. but 99% of the time i work with plesk i dont search such software and i dont wanna read "install this" "try this" "this is new and great" on each Control Panel Page. You understand?

Provide a Newsletter or a "Whats new in plesk" page on your website maybe with a small link on Plesk10 Start page with this informations...

"try this" in Admin Panel can be hidden easily - which should solve your problem. And we suppose that indication of availability should help to less experienced admins. My understanding is that both types of users should be satisfied, but anyway we'll consider your point about 1st screenshot (HelpDesk).

I will seek for solution for #2 and #3 ,hope to post it soon.

Regards

Last edited:
"try this" in Admin Panel can be hidden easily - which should solve your problem. And we suppose that indication of availability should help to less experienced admins. My understanding is that both types of users should be satisfied, but anyway we'll consider your point about 1st screenshot (HelpDesk).

Regards

realy? sorry dont find this function. where can i hide it?

You just need to click "hide this offer" right to "Install" button of HelpDesk offer (screenshot #1). As for screenshot #2 I yet need to seek more for a solution (for this one I can understand your concern).

thanks Sergey for this conversation. wanna they your customer support is great. you are asking things to understand your customers and discuss sollutions with the community thats great.

some general thinking about UI in plesk:

1. we discussed the new "advertisment boxes" why you add 2 different types of boxes (described in screenshots #1 #2 in first post) both are "tips" for additional software. one is shown in a box on top with "hide" option. one is shown on the right with no hide option (and produced many whitespace).

2. second case: user interface customization:
we have 3 places to customize interface:
Settings->Interface Management->Interface Controls Visibility
Mail->"disable mail service" to hide the tab. sometimes it works by settings permission to 0 in subscription to hide things
Now we have the next way to "disable" things via license (panel extras, sitebuilder and so on)

i think both examples look a little like "no plan, just adding it anywhere"
is there no overall UI concept for plesk? if you think you need boxes to "advert" third party tools why not everytime on the same place, same look and feel?
why 3 or 4 different ways to customize the UI ? realy needed?
there are more examples...
think this inconsequences cofuse people a lot! i know things "grow" and you need to add new features somewhere but keep in mind the product has to be useable and "logical structured".

Ok, here is summary

Screenshot #1 ("How to install HelpDesk ..." in Admin Panel).
Just click "hide this offer" right to "Install" button of HelpDesk and you will never see it again
Screenshot #2 ("Recommended Applications" in Admin Panel) .
We are issuing an update with "hide" control for this block.
Screenshot #3 ("Sitebuilder" what's new)
Ensure you have "Sites published with SiteBuilder" = 0 and "Allow customer to create trial SiteBuilder websites" = off in your service plan(s). Once you don't offer Sitebuilder service, these items won't be shown anymore.

Most probably you've seen them because you set up a new Plesk server and didn't tune service plans, so "Allow customer to create trial SiteBuilder websites" = on in default plan. If you did upgrade from 10.0, "Allow customer to create trial SiteBuilder websites" would have been "off" in all your service plans and you wouldn't ever notice Sitebuilder "advertised" (which isn't advertisement in fact - it is shown only to those customers to which you decided to offer Sitebuilder).

Thank you for your input on unification of service availability management. Though there are different kinds of services and they are managed differently (some are server-wide, some are per subscription), but we will seek how to unify their management to make it simpler and more uniform.

I encourage everyone to express their opinion in this thread.

Regards

Last edited:
Thanks Sergey,
i described the sitebuilder problem here:
http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=108054#5

my server is not a new 10.1.1 installation it was a 10.0.1 installation and then updated to 10.1.1
i have set sitebuilder to 0 everywhere, subscription service plans, sitebuilder trial off and so on and it is still there

Could you tell a little more on what's so bad in this "what's new" banner in SMB panel? From our point of view they shouldn't harm anyone in terms of support calls or profit lost... it is not an attempt to sell or something like that. Just a suggestion how to discover new feature(s).

Many of those suggestion were available as a simpler looking notification even in 10.0, so mainly it is just better look for the same content. And they all have "hide" option.

I can find out how to force them not shown, but I have hard time understanding why they aren't welcome.

Regards

the answer is just simple: nobody WANT THIS FEATURES !

@ community:

the ugly advertisements can be disabled by hacking the psa sql database and re-editing some of those default psa php-files. i will publish some tweaks here soon.

2 gtsupport

That's very strange you say "nobody". For each feature we have a pool of requestors. :)
But ok, I understand now that there are other people not wanting it. We know there are different types of use and we consider it offering different modes of Plesk.
Now I would need to understand what is your difference from those who wants these features, so that we can respect it properly.

I know now lhwparis is a webstudio with their own CMS and Sitebuilder is unwelcome for their business. We'll take it in account for sure.

And what would be your case? Private message would be okay if you don't like telling it publicly.

thanks Sergey, yes we provide our own CMS and of course dont wanna see sitebuilder;) We also provide different solutions for domain reg, certificates, google tools and all this things. i am sure many of your customers in this business do this things there own way too.

second point is we have some technical "low level" customers. sometimes this customers want to create new mail accounts or change passwords or create a subdomain but not realy more. its important for this customers to reduce the control panel (smb) and buttons to a minimum that they find this functions quick. therefor its important that we can control the interface or buttons go away if this feature is set to 0 in permissions.

another thing is this new "offers-panel" described in the second post of this thread.
i like new features! i like the staging feature its cool and i wanna have new features in plesk!
BUT some of my customers are confused when they see a new box with a headline which contains "paying attention" and functions they dont know. they think this box comes from my business and they dont know what i wanna tell them so they dont know what to do. you understand?

A second reason some people don't like things showing up in the admin that we didn't choose to put there or allow is because every time you do that, an end user sees it and then it turns into support tickets for us to deal with asking about what does this notice mean, or they try to do something they can't, etc.. Adding unexpected things to the admin is precisely what makes us not want to upgrade Plesk since every time we do it we're going to get hit with a flood of support tickets.

I investigated this problem and it seems that you can easily hide Plesk 10.1.1 ads by following way:

1. Log in to your server and type:

pico /opt/psa/admin/htdocs/skins/default/css/common/base.css

(you may need to change the Plesk installation path /opt/psa/admin to be corresponding one on your own server - this is the one we have in Debian Lenny installation)

2. add the following content to the end of the file:

.home-promo-block {
display: none !important;
}

3. Save and Viola! All the annoying big add blocks disappear from both of the Plesk front pages (Customer side's and Admin side's).

Unfortunatelly, after only a quick search, I wasn't able to find the css style that would hide the smaller ad block panels on the right side of the admin panel ((for e.g. one in the Settings -page). However, these should be not visible for customers and though unimportant.

If you need you can try to test and search the style for that too. I guess it can be placed on to one of the following file locations:
/opt/psa/admin/htdocs/skins/default/plesk/css/main/custom.css
/opt/psa/admin/htdocs/skins/default/css/common/base.css

Cheers!

Hello Scy,

Regarding smaller ad block -
829738-217201135922pm.png

- you can just click (x) symbol to hide it. Why to fix in CSS?

Hello Scy,

Regarding smaller ad block -
829738-217201135922pm.png

- you can just click (x) symbol to hide it. Why to fix in CSS?

Well, if we have 4000 clients, should I log in each client's username and click 4000 times that box? :)

Yes, I understand that these smaller ads are shown for admin only. However, the bigger ad is shown to customer side end as well - so for hiding that my solution would be more than sufficient.

Yes,I see the inconvenience of hiding client promos. Your solution is very neat. :) We'll do some control for Admin to manage client promos altogether, but until that your solution should be very convenient.

Back