• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Important New Plesk webmail / SOGo Webmail extension

AYamshanov

Silver Pleskian
Staff member
Server operating system version
Ubuntu 22.04
Plesk version and microupdate number
Plesk Obsidian 18.0.48
Hi!

We have prepared and released a new extension for Plesk, it is "SOGo Webmail". It can be installed on Plesk Obsidian 18.0.48+. Currently, in Plesk Ext.Catalog, it located in the "Beta" category.
Since, it is "Beta" release and we would like to ask you provide feedback and questions about the extension in that forum thread.

1.png

Important: This extension is currently in the Beta stage, so it is provided on an "as is" basis for evaluation and testing purposes only. The extension may lack stability, functionality or polish and is expected to have bugs. Using it for production purposes is not recommended and Plesk disclaims any form of guaranty or liability in relation to its use or engineering. Official support for this extension is not available.

What is SOGo?​

SOGo is a groupware server that provides a rich AJAX-based Web interface and offers your users a uniform and complete interface to access their information.

Known limitations​

• Authentication
    • Users with passwords longer than 15 characters will not be able to authenticate due to a bug in SOGo authentication mechanism.
    • Only "sym" passwords can be used for authentication (symmetric hash, default configuration), "crypt" hashes will result in authentication failure.
  • Packaging
    • Nightly packages' compatibility is not guaranteed.
    • Stable packages are only available on Debian 11, Ubuntu 18.04, Ubuntu 20.04, and Ubuntu 22.04, including Ubuntu 22.04 on ARM.
    • Nightly packages are only available on AlmaLinux 8, Rocky Linux 8, RHEL 8, Debian 10, Debian 11, Ubuntu 18.04, and Ubuntu 20.04.
  • Security
    • At the moment, SSL It!/Let's Encrypt cannot be used to secure SOGo webmail with an SSL/TLS certificate.
  • Miscellaneous
    • At the moment, the extension is only available in English.
    • Dovecot IMAP server is required, compatibility with Courier IMAP was not tested.
    • Backup/migration is not implemented at the moment.
    • SOGo database must be stored on the same host as the Plesk database.

Last edited:
So, while I don't use plesk anymore (cost issue), I was able to spin up an instance to try this. With the exception of the SSL issue, this was super easy to install and use. Made me super happy to play with. I wish my current system had support for this.

Thank you!

I got an issue after the installation. After checking SoGo as Webmailer service, I just see the default page:

1671446983942.png

I have removed SoGo and I have installed it again, but unfortunately it doesn't help.

Somehow, I can not login. I've installed everything, changed my mail password length from 16 to 15 and tried to login. Still getting login issues. Any idea?

Maybe this helps as well:

Code:
Dec 19 17:21:03 sogod [26901]: SOGoRootPage Login from '127.0.0.1' for user '[email protected]' might not have worked - password policy: 65535  grace: -1  expire: -1  bound: 0
Dec 19 17:21:03 sogod [26901]: 127.0.0.1 "POST /SOGo/connect HTTP/1.0" 403 34/98 0.004 - - 0

Yes, I can confirm that to open SOGo Webmail need to use link like "webmail.example.org/SOGo". Otherwise it will show Plesk default page.
Thank you! We will check what we can do with it.
That would be great. Maybe you can change the vhost and remove the path, which is not needed in this case. Is there any information about the login issue with the password policy log message? I can not find anything about this issue.

Is there any information about the login issue with the password policy log message? I can not find anything about this issue.

No, right now it is not a known issue. Could you provide a little bit more details about OS and Plesk? E.g.: the `plesk version` command's output? Any information that could help us to reproduce the issue?

Right now we have only one idea what make sense to check, thats the use with an issue really exists in SOGo database, there are steps that could help to check the idea:
  • We need to know the real name of the database, there is an example from my server (you will receive a little bit different name),
Bash:
root@plesk:~# plesk db "SELECT value FROM ModuleSettings WHERE name='db' AND value LIKE 'sogo%';"
+--------------------+
| value              |
+--------------------+
| sogo_639daa1c3e1c7 |
+--------------------+

• The next step is to check existing of users in the SOGo database (need to use the name of DB from the prev.step); the output should contain users with hashed passwords like this.
Bash:
root@plesk:~# plesk db 'use sogo_639daa1c3e1c7; SELECT * FROM sogo_users_view'
| c_uid             | c_name            | c_cn              | mail              | c_password                                                     |
+-------------------+-------------------+-------------------+-------------------+----------------------------------------------------------------+
| [email protected] | [email protected] | [email protected] | [email protected] | $AES-128-CBC$12345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567== |
[...]

If everything looks similar, we still do not have ideas about the root cause; and more information required.

No, right now it is not a known issue. Could you provide a little bit more details about OS and Plesk? E.g.: the `plesk version` command's output? Any information that could help us to reproduce the issue?

Right now we have only one idea what make sense to check, thats the use with an issue really exists in SOGo database, there are steps that could help to check the idea:
  • We need to know the real name of the database, there is an example from my server (you will receive a little bit different name),
Bash:
root@plesk:~# plesk db "SELECT value FROM ModuleSettings WHERE name='db' AND value LIKE 'sogo%';"
+--------------------+
| value              |
+--------------------+
| sogo_639daa1c3e1c7 |
+--------------------+

• The next step is to check existing of users in the SOGo database (need to use the name of DB from the prev.step); the output should contain users with hashed passwords like this.
Bash:
root@plesk:~# plesk db 'use sogo_639daa1c3e1c7; SELECT * FROM sogo_users_view'
| c_uid             | c_name            | c_cn              | mail              | c_password                                                     |
+-------------------+-------------------+-------------------+-------------------+----------------------------------------------------------------+
| [email protected] | [email protected] | [email protected] | [email protected] | $AES-128-CBC$12345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567== |
[...]

If everything looks similar, we still do not have ideas about the root cause; and more information required.
Sure, let's find the issue!!!

The first output:

Code:
root@plesk ~ # plesk db "SELECT value FROM ModuleSettings WHERE name='db' AND value LIKE 'sogo%';"
+--------------------+
| value              |
+--------------------+
| sogo_63a081f0bc189 |
+--------------------+

The second one:
Code:
+----------------------------+----------------------------+----------------------------+----------------------------+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| c_uid                      | c_name                     | c_cn                       | mail                       | c_password                                                                                                                     |
+----------------------------+----------------------------+----------------------------+----------------------------+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+                                           |
| [email protected]           | [email protected]           | [email protected]           | [email protected]           | $AES-128-CBC$92Y/ovYjqxSSJznDG1BKOw==$58fo3MNTg3ckFxtJOpMDiYjITEupqfKUEh1lJ3lLIbQ=                                             |                                           |
+----------------------------+----------------------------+----------------------------+----------------------------+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+

Maybe it's important to know, that I've initially tried to log in with a password longer to 15 signs. After reading your comment about the 15 signs passwords, I've changed it to 15 signs and tried it again.

This is my Plesk version info:

Code:
root@plesk ~ # plesk version
Product version: Plesk Obsidian 18.0.48.0
     OS version: Ubuntu 18.04 x86_64
     Build date: 2022/11/04 10:00
       Revision: de1380238ea912c17bb665dafb41e69d609cd6c3

I did not have to change my password, it was short and is not listed as problematic on the SOGo-Plugin page. But I can't login in - "Wrong username or password."
My db looks good, mail adresses with hashed passwords (I tried two).

Here my Plesk info:

Product version: Plesk Obsidian 18.0.49.0 OS version: Ubuntu 18.04 x86_64 Build date: 2022/12/16 14:00 Revision: a146da4f2c52b979e7a74955692cf2280f5f7ba6

Could you also say what type of packages was chosen during the installation step, nightly or stable packages? Or even better, could you please show the output of the command:
apt list --installed 'sogo*'

Back