• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

New server - how do I authenticate mail senders

Richard Grevers

New Pleskian
[Resolved] New server - how do I authenticate mail senders

Plesk 10.4.4 on CentOS 6

I've just moved all my sites onto a plesk VPS, and they are unable to send emails from contact forms and other web apps. I host all email at Google rather than on my server.

A typical error is:
contactdd.mv: Line 91: MvSMTP: Runtime Error: Error sending recipient '[email protected]': 5.1.1 : Recipient address rejected: User unknown in virtual mailbox table

What can I do to tell the server that the from address I'm using is allowed to send mail, since I don't want to create a mailbox for it.
[update]
ok - found the disable mail service option for each domain - documentation does not cover this well. It's a pity disabling mail isn't an option on the the service plan templates.

Last edited:
Configure the MTA running on the Plesk server to relay from clients connecting from localhost, then configure the apps to connect to localhost, SMTP port 25 to send outbound emails.

The apps are already using localhost and port 25. My old server OS had a checkbox "use external email" which stopped the system from trying to deliver mail locally.

The "Configure the MTA" bit is the puzzle - the only controls in the UI allow even further tightening things by disallowing all relaying.

If I understand correctly you are only hosting websites and not email on your Plesk vps. If this is the case you should disable the email functions in the panel.

tools and settings -> Mail server settings -> Enable mail management functions in Panel (untick). I *think* this will do what you want but as we use panels mail functions we have not disabled this. Alternatively you can log in as customer click on mail tab -> change settings -> Activate mail service on domain (untick) this will stop plesk from delivering email locally for that domain. This option is more likely to be what you want but it must be done per domain.

Back