• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Newbie Installation

W

waveney

Hi,

For years I had a Cobalt RAQ server, and finally moved to a new server 2 months ago with Plesk, I like Plesk but hate the awful network the new server was on. I decided to move again, have a nice spec server that is well connected, but only had very basic capabilities, so I have ordered plesk myself and have tried to install it, with only partial success so far.

Primary problem: MySql - many problems that can be summed up as - ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'admin'@'localhost' (using password: YES), many packages failed to install and although the system is apparently loaded it wont run. I can login as admin or root to MySQL. I have looked around and found many posts relating to this, but none have so far worked - help please.

Minor Issue (at the moment): the default build puts the web sites in /var/www/vhosts/ the new server has most of the workspace as /home (only a few Gig as /var), will the system work by simply changing the entry in psa.conf file for HTTPD_VHOSTS to use /home?

You should not be able to login to MySQL as root, as Plesk disables the MySQL root account (and uses 'admin'). Did you install Plesk on a freshly installed OS? If not, I definitely recommend doing that. Also a good time to make sure there's more space on /var (both websites and email are stored under /var).

The system was new 2 days ago, I had to remove a couple of the pre-installed packages before plesk loaded, MySQL is among those pre-installed. The System Runs CentOS 5.2.

How do I resize /var? I am experienced Linux user, but have never had to administer Linux at this level before.

You can set the partition sizes when you install the OS and partition your drives. You can only resize existing partitions with data if you use LVM: http://tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/ (Or you'd have to have free space on the drive or another drive so you can create a new partition, copy the data, blow the old one away and put the new one in as /var.)

Back