• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

newly-installed SSL certificate not available to domain

T

tripswitch

Here's a frustrating one.... we have a dedicated Windows 2003 server with Plesk 7.5 installed, and are running 8 domains within Plesk (all our own sites). We are set up as the one and only client in Plesk and all domains are under that client's control. All share the same IP Address (listed as 192.168.27.77 Exclusive (8) in each site's setup page).

I've just purchased and installed a new SSL certificate for one of the domains. The certificate was created and installed on that specific domain's Certificates page, and is fully and correctly installed (all 4 icons are illuminated).

However on going back into the domain's setup page and trying to use the certificate, I find no dropdown where there should be one next to 'Certificate', only the following:

Default Certificate (Administrator's repository)

and the SSL support checkbox is greyed our with the message:

(The IP address associated with this domain is already used by another domain for SSL support implementation)

This is obviously the same for all the other domains too ... however I don't want to share the certificate (hence why I installed it to that specific domain), just use it for this one domain.

How can I get round this and assign the certificate to the domain?

Many thanks in advance

ok, quick update ... I discovered that one of the domains had the SSL support checkbox ticked, so I unchecked it which allowed me to check it for the domain I'm trying to implement SSL on.

However I still don't get the dropdown to assign my new certificate to the domain. Just the 'Default Certificate (Administrator's repository)' message...

another quick update from me ... having stumbled across

http://forum.swsoft.com/showthread.php?t=48614

It seems I may have been wrong in setting up the SSL for the domain and not the server (we have just one IP address). So am I right in thinking I need to set up the certificate for the server instead and if so, do I need to create a new CSR and go back to the cert issuer? Or is there a way to transfer the cert from the domain up to the server level?

BTW, working on the assumption that this could be what I need to do, I've run into another problem. Trying to set up another certificate, either for the server or one of the domains, I'm getting the following error when I hit the 'Request' button to create the CSR:

Unable to create CSR: ch_owner failed: Unhandled exception

I'm starting to lose hair over this... any help gratefully received!

BTW, working on the assumption that this could be what I need to do, I've run into another problem. Trying to set up another certificate, either for the server or one of the domains, I'm getting the following error when I hit the 'Request' button to create the CSR:

Unable to create CSR: ch_owner failed: Unhandled exception

Just in case anyone's interested in this thread...

Got in this morning to resume the madness - logged into Plesk and within 5 mins I was getting the following error when trying to access any page in the CP:

Fatal error: Unhandled exception in D:\SWsoft\Plesk\admin\plib\common_func.php3 on line 2297

Tracked down similar problems on the forum which led me to http://kb.odin.com/en/1427. Checked the registry, environment variables and finally stopped the CP service, deleted the files in %plesk_dir%tmp (I'm on 7.5.4) and restarted the CP service. Thank God it's eliminated the fatal exception and also the ch_owner issue I somehow created yesterday. Phew!

So back to the original issue now. But at least I can create certificates again. Will update if I manage to resolve it.

Did you ever resolve this?

I have the same problem on Plesk 9.3

Cert installed on domain OK, but is not available to be used by the domain

Hi Michael,

Here's what you need to do... install the certificate for the server, not the domain: go to Server > Certificates and install it there (my server's still on Plesk 7.5.4, but presumably yours looks pretty similar).

Then go to Server > IP Addresses. If your server's set up like mine with one IP, you'll see it there. Click on the server and you should have your newly installed certificate in the relevant dropdown. Select it to replace the Default Certificate, OK it.

That should be all you need to do. Go into your domain setup and you should see the new cert installed on the domain.

Hope this solves your problem

Nick

Thanks Nick

I managed to get around it another way.

I went into the hosting settings screen and was able to select the cert from there. I also had to enable ssl support on the same page.

It didn't work straight away - in fact, in the end I had to reboot the server to get it working - but it's all good now.

Back