• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

One DNS for all hosting clients

J

jdc32

hi there,

im reading reading reading but i dont find any details in the adminpdf or here in the forum.

i setup at my standard domain 2 nameservers (one at the plesk maschine and the second, via acl, at another maschine), all works fine.

now i want setup my new clients/domains at the plesk maschine, but i dont want to install for any domain a seperate nameserver.

i want use my default nameservers for all my clients/domains at my plesk server.

how can i do that,

thanks for any how to :)

jdc

If I understand you correctly, you already have your Plesk server and a second DNS server setup. And assuming you have already tested that the second gets updated from the Plesk server and all that is working, then it should be simple.

For each domain you host, you just have to change that domain's main DNS server pointers at the registrar company to your DNS servers.

Once that propagates around the world, then all DNS lookup requests for that domain will then be referred to your servers. As long as your servers have the proper IP's and A, MX, Cname, etc records, then all will be well.

yes thats right, my secodary dns works fine.

if i add a new domain (eg. sample.com), plesk add for the domain the new zones (like. ns.sample.com). so i change the ns.sample.com to my standard ns at this maschine (eg. ns.maindns.com). is that right?

than all zones which added for new domains are reachable via my ns.maindns.com and this ns.maindns.com can i use to the register new domains?????

if i add a new domain (eg. sample.com), plesk add for the domain the new zones (like. ns.sample.com). so i change the ns.sample.com to my standard ns at this maschine (eg. ns.maindns.com). is that right?
You should edit the master Server DNS template so that all new domains will show 2 NS records. One for each of your NS server names/IP's.

than all zones which added for new domains are reachable via my ns.maindns.com and this ns.maindns.com can i use to the register new domains

If you will be adding a domain to your Plesk server, the domain itself must first be bought at a Registrar company (such as Network Solutions, GoDaddy, Register.com, etc). During this process you would specify your 2 name servers as being the main DNS servers for that domain. Once that information is passed around the world, then your name servers become the 'authoritative' name servers for that domain, and all lookup requests would come to your servers when someone wants to browse to that domain or do email, etc.

If someone wants you to be the 'host' for their already existing domain, then they would have to have their registrar company change the main DNS servers for their domain to your name servers. Again this must pass around (propagate) to the world's other servers, and then your name servers would become the 'authority' for that domain.

From your post, I am not sure if you are thinking that you will be able to create brand new domain names without having to go through a registrar company. This thinking would be incorrect.

Back