• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Package Updater says failure when OS-PHP-FPM pool is empty

TimReeves

Regular Pleskian
I'm running Debian 8 and Plesk Onyx 17.5.3 #37.
I have noticed this problem on more than one machine: The OS-PHP FPM pool is empty, since I now only use PHP7.0 and 7.1. When I do a manual call of apt-get upgrade the output looks like this:
Code:
Setting up php5-fpm (5.6.33+dfsg-0+deb8u1) ...
php5_invoke mysql: no action - module was disabled by maintainer for fpm SAPI
php5_invoke imap: no action - module was disabled by maintainer for fpm SAPI
php5_invoke sqlite3: no action - module was disabled by maintainer for fpm SAPI
php5_invoke pdo_sqlite: no action - module was disabled by maintainer for fpm SAPI
Job for php5-fpm.service failed. See 'systemctl status php5-fpm.service' and 'journalctl -xn' for details.
invoke-rc.d: initscript php5-fpm, action "start" failed.
dpkg: error processing package php5-fpm (--configure):
 subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
Setting up linux-libc-dev:amd64 (3.16.51-3+deb8u1) ...
Errors were encountered while processing:
 php5-fpm
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
This results in an annoying E-Mail from Plesk like this:

Reason: 2018-01-15 06:33:02 INFO: pum is called with arguments: ['--update', '--json']
2018-01-15 06:33:21 INFO: updating packages: python-libxml2 libxml2 libxml2-dev
Error in function:
SystemError: E:Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
2018-01-15 06:33:29 ERROR: installArchives() failed
2018-01-15 06:33:29 ERROR: Exited with returncode 1.

I don't know if I could really delete the OS PHP package, I don't know if other things rely on it, like Plesk itself, or Apache, or anything else. And unless I do, I suspect that I will keep getting these misleading E-Mails - unless I configure a dummy PHP-FPM process with nothing to do... ahem.

Just one idea: If the Plesk package update manager could scan the output from apt, and if it is ONLY complaining about PHP for an empty pool not starting, then discount the error message.

Try to fix it with:

# plesk installer --select-release-current --reinstall-patch --upgrade-installed-components
# plesk sbin pum --update

Hi Igor,

thanks for that idea, I applied it yesterday at 2 servers with this problem. This morning I did not see that problem.

Thanks!

I had a similar problem with Plesk Obsidian 18.0.28 Update #3... which occured after a failed update... all usernames from the domains saved in directory /etc/php5/fpm/pool.d/... didn't match anymore with the real / correct usernames in plesk web GUI...

Then i tried 1.) to change all hosts to php 7.x; after that `apt-get purge php5-fpm` and install it again with `apt-get install php5-fpm`... but that didn't deleted the content with non-equivalent usernames from /etc/php5/fpm/pool.d/... , so `apt-get install php5-fpm` tried to start php5-fpm with non-existing usernames after installation - which resulted with an error code not equals 0 2.) then i moved the whole content from /etc/php5/fpm/pool.d/... to a new created directory in root: /pool.d.. after that' i tried to uninstall it again, then occured another error message (i forgot it)... after deleting the whole /etc/php5/fpm directory, i was successful with purge & (re)-install php5-fpm...

Then a "apt-get clean && apt-get autoremove --purge" and the system seems to be "clean" again.

I still don't know what the problem was with that non-equivalent usernames. (???) but anyway, now it works again.

Was that an adequate way to solve the problem, or do i have an inconsistent system now?

Thank you for your feedbacks.

Best regards, Jan

Back