• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Panel Notifications and Email (550 Authentication is required for relay)

Eurotimmy

New Pleskian
Hello all,

I believe I have a simple issue and am unable to find the way to correct it... I'm a relative novice so please direct me to the answers gently. :)

I have Plesk and SmarterMail running on a server.
SmarterMail is setup as 'require SMTP authentication before relaying' email (I think this is standard practice).

My issue... I cannot get Plesk to send any emails, such as forgotten password reminders and notifications.
Plesk tries to send but gets a "550 Authentication is required for relay" error... which is expected, because I can't find anywhere in Plesk to enter the authentication details for the email account being used to send (relay) the emails.

I don't want to setup a 'whitelist' or 'bypass relay authentication' for 127.0.0.1 as I have had a spam issue with this previously.

Can somebody please tell me where to enter the username / password details so Plesk Panel can authenticate and send it's emails?

Thank you in advance.
Tim

Last edited:
Hello All,

I have the same problem.

Surely someone knows where the settings are that Plesk itself uses to send it's own notifications.

They are certainly not in Tools and Settings > Mail Server Settings which is where I would expect such settings to be?

Someone from Plesk needs to answer this please.

Regards, David.

exactly the samething is happening to my server, using horde, no way to use because of the authentication is required for relay message.

Anyway to fix it soon?

I'm having unhappy customers!!!

Thank you a lot

Javier

Please check tools and settings >> mail server settings >> relay requires authentication will be checked. Remove that and try again.

Back