• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Parallels 'Lite'

DemonLee

Basic Pleskian
Over the years, Parallels has become 'God' and in my case (and I suspect for many others from conversations with other users), is fast becoming a real PAIN IN THE AR**E to use...!!!

As a Web Hosting Company, we host for Individuals and Businesses that are 'End Users' and don't want any contact at all with their website, they PAY US to design, host and manage their services so they can get on and run their business...

Plesk 10 & 11 are a nightmare, I don't have the need for 'USER ACCOUNTS', I don't have the need for 'SUBSCRIPTIONS' and I certainly don't PLESK to be able to install WORDPRESS and then TELL ME what it should be called with NO ability to 'define' the database name created... more importanlty I don't want to have to trawl through multiple pages to set up the Domain, DNS, E-Mail, Databases etc.... it appears to me (and I have worked in IT since 1982 and educated to Ph.D Level), that Parallels are assuming that the PLESK CONTROL panel in its current format is the 'way to go', when in fact, I am now looking at ALTERNATIVES.

Why can't you release a 'LTE' Version so web hosts like ourselves can log in, create a domain and everything it needs without having to leave that page, only creating a unique username and login for FTP and file updates?

There is nothing worse in any aspect of business when SOFTWARE Designers think they know MORE about MY BUSINESS and how it operates or how THEY want me to operate...

Examples:

You cannot migrate in a domain with an 'A' record for the 'www' as Plesk Designers have decided it should use a CNAME contrary to historical preferences. So instead of 'www' A 109.104.xx.xx they want it to have www CNAME www.domainname......! This causes a failure to migrate the domain, despite the fact it imports the mail accounts but you can't see them unless you look in the USERS option.

With an ALIAS domain, it DOES NOT correctly configure domainname CNAME conicalurl so the alias does NOT work and guess what - within PLESK it WILL NOT permit you to CHANGE the DNS on the ALIAS Domain... DUH!

Just in case - did you try to use Power User view?

This view is the best for power users - those who use Panel solely for personal needs, such as for maintaining a company portal or a mail server. In this view, both server administration and hosting services management take place in the Control Panel. As this view does not assume a reselling service to others is needed, it does not provide facilities for managing hosting plans, subscriptions, resellers, and customers. Also, as the server administration functions are included in the Control Panel in this view, the Server Administration Panel becomes unavailable.

Hi, yes I did, but this is what happened.

1. I only got access to the DEFAULT domain we are forced to create - why do we even NEED a default domain?

2. So you select the default domain and guess what, you get a nice little page of LINKS to take you to another page to configure each section of the domain... whats wrong with having it ALL on one page, it's not like there is a lot to configure - url, dns, database (maybe), e-mail accounts...!!!

3. All the other domains are under the tab marked 'Web Spaces' and all the config options had disappeared...!

What Parallels are not taking into account is that we don't need a set-up such as the type webfusion would use on a shared server where each client gets their own log-in account, what we need is simple.

A. To create an Administrator Account.
B. For that Administrator to be able to set up multiple domains they manage under their own 'root' (not site1 etc.)
C. To have a SINGLE page for config.

When the WWW first became available, up until around 5yrs ago, to set up a domain, including E-mails, FTP Access, databases etc would take me 15 mins max- now I would be lucky to complete 1 an hour due to the amount of times you are going back and forth through screens. I will draw up a page of what I would EXPECT to see for an Admin like myself and post it up in the next couple of days.

Back