• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Parallels Panel update failed, unaccessible

C

CyberShadow

I had an email this morning from the server to inform me that the Parallels Panel update had failed. This is not the first time that this has happened, and in the past I have either updated manually or simply waited for the next update session to kick in.

However, this time, I am unable to log into Plesk at all - at either server or site level. I simply get an 'unable to connect' error message, even though the actual sites are working fine. This means that I also cant access the installer log either.

I assume that my default action is to come back in a couple of hours and see if the network was at fault, but given that the sites are online, I am doubtful.

Can anyone advise?
Thanks.

Just to confirm I have the same issue this morning as well. My guess is that Plesk has crashed during the update leaving the control panel inaccessible. Just about to try restarting Plesk via ssh.

Thanks for the note. It shouldn't make any difference..... but it feels better to know its not just me! :~)

Let me know how the restart goes. If things are not improved in a couple of hours I was just going to reboot the server and see if that jump started it.

Thanks.

No need to reboot the whole server, just restart Plesk on the command line to get the control panel working again, then you should be able to review the update log via the link.

Run the following 2 commands to restart Plesk:
/etc/init.d/psa stopall
/etc/init.d/psa start

I found the log wasn't very helpful. For me it seems to have failed to install a package that was already installed. Great!

Here's the error at the end of my log:

Package matching php-5.3.3-3.el6_2.5.x86_64 already installed. Checking for update.
Running rpm_check_debug
Exception: Scriptlet or other non-fatal errors occurred during transaction.

ERROR: Failed to run the Yum utility.
The Yum utility failed to install the required packages.
Attention! Your software might be inoperable.
Please, contact product technical support.

Ahhh. The irony of the log saying that 'your software may be inoperable', given that I cant see the log because the software is inoperable! :~)

Thanks. I will give that a go.

EDIT - This worked perfectly, thanks, and I got the same error message. My usual course of action now is not to touch anything and see what happens with the next scheduled update.

SECOND EDIT - I broke my own rule and did a repair/retry upgrade and this worked first time with no problems, so I guess that the source site went down mid-upgrade previously.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just tried manually updating the components using the web based installer and found there was a checkbox for "PHP5 support" which was ticked by default. I found that if I left that checked the installer failed, but when I tried without it checked the the base packages updated fine.

The final solution is so easy. Only you must add two lines in the yum file configuration:

/etc/yum.repos.d/CentOS-Base.repo

[base]
name=CentOS-$releasever - Base
mirrorlist=http://mirrorlist.centos.org/?release=$releasever&arch=$basearch&repo=os
#baseurl=http://mirror.centos.org/centos/$releasever/os/$basearch/
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-CentOS-6
exclude=*php*

#released updates
[updates]
name=CentOS-$releasever - Updates
mirrorlist=http://mirrorlist.centos.org/?release=$releasever&arch=$basearch&repo=updates
#baseurl=http://mirror.centos.org/centos/$releasever/updates/$basearch/
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-CentOS-6
exclude=*php*

and then run again the update. Remember to delete flags files in /tmp and /var/lock/parallels-panel-upgrade-failure.flag

regards

Recap - I had an update fail for Yum, which left my Plesk cp inaccessible. A SSH process stop/start brought it back. Logging in to Plesk I find the notice for the failed installation, and I continue/complete this (without making any changes). It works. The sun shines, birds sing, all appears well.

Current - Since that point, I have had five crash report emails in two days (update, make that six), all with the note:

BUG: soft lockup - CPU#0 stuck for....

Looking at the health, CPU usage and Apache usage are both 'problem high' (95.6% and 54.4% respectively). I know that these soft lockups are notoriously difficult to trace back (including just timebomb switches in the kernal), but the only thing that I have altered between 'working great' and 'crashing every couple of hours' was the Yum installation.

Could this have had the negative impact to cause these problems?
I will now try a server reset as a 'first step' to see if it is resolved.

Thanks.

I have the same problem :

Package matching php-5.3.3-3.el6_2.5.x86_64 already installed. Checking for update.
Running rpm_check_debug

How to solve the problem without excluding php in the centos repo.

I have the same problem, started 2 days ago but rosskendall's suggestion worked to get the panel back up again.

Unfortunately the panel went down again the following night! I started the panel up again, and click at the top where it says something like "repair the panel upgrade" or something? Waiting for the next upgrade to see what happens now.

Maybe it's a repository error like my logs say:

Code:
===> Preparing upgrade
Stopping psa... done
psa is stopped
Stopping psa... done
===> Cumulative database upgrade has been started
===> Upgrade completed.
Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, priorities
WARNING: Third-party Yum repository 'cr' is enabled, installation may fail.

Since you use one or more 3rd-party repos (say, atomic), be careful when installing different package versions from different repos as this may lead to installation failures. For example, you may encounter a problem if you first install PHP from a 3rd-party repo and then upgrade it using the Parallels repo. To avoid such situations, install and upgdare packages from the same repo.

Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile
94 packages excluded due to repository priority protections
Package php-5.3.3-3.el6_2.5.x86_64 already installed and latest version
Running rpm_check_debug

Looking at my PHP packages with "yum info php" shows the installed version is from PSA_10_4_4-thirdparty

Installed Packages
Name : php
Arch : x86_64
Version : 5.3.3
Release : 3.el6_2.5
Size : 3.5 M
Repo : installed
From repo : PSA_10_4_4-thirdparty
Summary : PHP scripting language for creating dynamic web sites
URL : http://www.php.net/
License : PHP
Description : PHP is an HTML-embedded scripting language. PHP attempts to make it
: easy for developers to write dynamically generated webpages. PHP also
: offers built-in database integration for several commercial and
: non-commercial database management systems, so writing a
: database-enabled webpage with PHP is fairly simple. The most common
: use of PHP coding is probably as a replacement for CGI scripts.
:
: The php package contains the module which adds support for the PHP
: language to Apache HTTP Server.

Available Packages
Name : php
Arch : x86_64
Version : 5.3.3
Release : 14.el6_3
Size : 1.1 M
Repo : updates
Summary : PHP scripting language for creating dynamic web sites
URL : http://www.php.net/
License : PHP
Description : PHP is an HTML-embedded scripting language. PHP attempts to make it
: easy for developers to write dynamically generated webpages. PHP also
: offers built-in database integration for several commercial and
: non-commercial database management systems, so writing a
: database-enabled webpage with PHP is fairly simple. The most common
: use of PHP coding is probably as a replacement for CGI scripts.
:
: The php package contains the module which adds support for the PHP
: language to Apache HTTP Server.

Last edited:
How to solve the problem without excluding php in the centos repo.

I have the same problem, started 2 days ago but rosskendall's suggestion worked to get the panel back up again.

Unfortunately the panel went down again the following night! I started the panel up again, and click at the top where it says something like "repair the panel upgrade" or something? Waiting for the next upgrade to see what happens now.

I simply logged into Plesk and clicked the 'repair/continue this installation'. I didn't change anything in the settings for this, it appeared to work and Plesk hasn't become unavailable again..... although I am getting server crashes.

Rebooting the server appears to have helped but not solved the issue. I have only had a single crash report in 24 hours now, where I had about four in 24 previously. I will see if a second occurs.

This is entire process - failed installation of Yum, Plesk entirely unavailable until I stop/start processes - just happened again? Is there a permanent fix for this?

Did you try the fix of : bladepeich ?

But i think that we need a real fix

I did, but only after I had completed the install through the cp, so I won't know how effective it was until it (doesnt) happens again.

Panel became inaccessible again this morning after an automatic update.

I am now going to try the fix of bladepeich.

Has everyone else been OK with this fix so far? Won't this fix leave PHP out of the update or critical fixes/patches loop and cause it to become insecure over time?

Last edited:
I have the same issue after 10.4.4 #39 update. Installation log look like this:

Execution failed.
Command: autoinstaller
Arguments: Array
(
[0] => --select-product-id
[1] => plesk
[2] => --select-release-current
[3] => --upgrade-installed-components
)

Details: Doing restart of Parallels Installer...
File downloading products.inf3: 99%..100% was finished.
File downloading plesk.inf3: 10%..20%..32%..40%..50%..60%..70%..80%..90%..100% was finished.
File downloading ppsmbe.inf3: 28%..39%..70%..80%..100% was finished.
File downloading sitebuilder.inf3: 10%..35%..61%..87%..100% was finished.
File downloading sso.inf3: 10%..37%..51%..91%..100% was finished.
File downloading setemplates.inf3: 19%..69%..100% was finished.
File downloading pp-sitebuilder.inf3: 14%..35%..40%..50%..66%..71%..86%..92%..100% was finished.
File downloading billing.inf3: 13%..23%..33%..48%..53%..64%..74%..84%..94%..100% was finished.
File downloading mysql.inf3: 100% was finished.
File downloading apache.inf3: 100% was finished.
File downloading nginx.inf3: 33%..100% was finished.
Checking for installed packages...
File downloading PSA_10.4.4/plesk-10.4.4-cos6-x86_64.inf3: 10%..21%..32%..46%..54%..65%..70%..81%..92%..100% was finished.
File downloading PSA_10.4.4/plesk-patches-10.4.4-cos6-x86_64.inf3: 10%..20%..30%..40%..50%..61%..71%..80%..91%..100% was finished.
File downloading SITEBUILDER_10.4.4/sitebuilder-10.4.4-rhall-all.inf3: 62%..100% was finished.
File downloading BILLING_10.4.4/billing-10.4.4-rhall-all.inf3: 100% was finished.
Cleaning repos: atomic base extras updates
Cleaning up Everything
Cleaning up list of fastest mirrors
Detecting installed product components.
Gathering information about installed license key...
Launching component checkers...
File downloading PSA_10.4.4/examiners/panel_preupgrade_checker.php: 10%..21%..30%..40%..50%..61%..71%..81%..91%..100% was finished.
WARNING: Third-party Yum repository 'atomic' is enabled, installation may fail.

Since you use one or more 3rd-party repos (say, atomic), be careful when installing different package versions from different repos as this may lead to installation failures. For example, you may encounter a problem if you first install PHP from a 3rd-party repo and then upgrade it using the Parallels repo. To avoid such situations, install and upgdare packages from the same repo.

* atomic: www7.atomicorp.com
* base: centos.slaskdatacenter.com
* extras: centos.slaskdatacenter.com
* updates: centos.slaskdatacenter.com
98 packages excluded due to repository priority protections
Package php-5.2.17-1.el6.art.x86_64 already installed and latest version

Following amount of diskpace required in directories:
/usr/local: 900.00 Mb.
Total required: 900.00 Mb, available 4196.00 Mb.

Changing shell for popuser.
Shell not changed.
Changing shell for mhandlers-user.
Shell not changed.
===> Preparing upgrade
Stopping psa... done
psa is stopped
Stopping psa... done
===> Cumulative database upgrade has been started
===> Upgrade completed.
WARNING: Third-party Yum repository 'atomic' is enabled, installation may fail.

* atomic: www7.atomicorp.com
* base: centos.slaskdatacenter.com
* extras: centos.slaskdatacenter.com
* updates: centos.slaskdatacenter.com
98 packages excluded due to repository priority protections
Package php-5.2.17-1.el6.art.x86_64 already installed and latest version
Running rpm_check_debug

Same exact error here as well. Panel is unavailable after nightly update. Tried bladepeich's fix but no luck (FYI, I didn't have the parallels-panel-upgrade-failure.flag file in my /var/lock directory).

Is a fix from Parallels too much to ask?

Same issue this morning...

Package php-5.3.3-3.el6_2.5.x86_64 already installed and latest version
Running rpm_check_debug

Hello guys,

this error occurs because we still not supporting latest updates of CentOS/RedHat 6 for Plesk 10.4.4 and Plesk 11.0.9

we worked on this past 1.5 week, and now ETA is 10-Aug.

Last edited:
Back